Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axolotl legality in U.S.

AflackMatt

Reaction score
This doesnt mean much, but I live in Columbus, Ohio (the capital of Ohio) and I have never seen any Axies in ANY pet stores. Not even at reptile shows or the more exotic pet shops.

What I dont get is why Ohio vendors can sell Tiger sals and Marble Sals but not Axies...? :confused:

F

freddy 209

well i just went to 2 of my fav petstores this weekend and they had them one of the owners of these pet stores i know would not sell something that would get him introuble the other would cuz ive bought monsterfish that are nt suppose to be sold:pirate: i asked if they where illigal he said no that there indangerd in their naitive land and that there rare and he had not had them for 2 years he had them at a very good price $14.99 so i bought 2 the other guy $24.99 so i have no idea if they are illigal im just happy i was able to get some:happy:the 7 i have now live in my old 120g fishtank that my fish out grew:D

Darkmaverick

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Freddy,

I can understand your excitement of acquiring new pets. However, i advise that you do your research of legality/licensing of keeping the new pets beforehand. The last thing you want to do is to get in trouble with the law. Furthermore, by buying illegal animals, you are actually supporting the trade and encouraging more of such activity. Please be aware of the laws in your country.

Cheers

rhi

Reaction score
sorry to change subjects from the CA discussion, but does anyone know how/if I can get a permit to own Axolotls in NJ?

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Axolotls are l
As for their legality state by state, there are only two states with documentation eliminating the sale of axolotls as pets: Hawaii and Maine

These questions keep popping up. I'm not sure about the Maine thing but am pretty sure axies are legal in Hawaii. They are on the Dept. of Ag. list of amphibians that can be imported to Hawaii with an Ag. permit.

It is tough to track down laws and restrictions. I'm pretty sure they are currently permitted in Hawaii. I've sent a bunch of axies and eggs to Hawaii. I had ag permits every time.

Last edited:

spiro666

Reaction score
I am not saying if I do or do not agree with state laws in the US but rules are broken at the risk of the offender. California (as well as enthusiasts) seems to be a little confused about the law. I see axolotls in pet stores frequently and occasionally online but mostly in Northern California. I am posting to the site today to inform enthusiasts in Southern California that UCI (University of California: Irvine) is one of the world's foremost authorities on stem cell research so naturally they specimen axolotls for obvious reasons. If one were so compelled, their research calls for breeding on a larger scale and specimens are available for research only, NOT AS PETS ;). Axolotls are illegal in California.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
can i ask why they are a illegal as pet?
California has a native, endangered tiger salamander species. It is being threatened by interbreeding with non-native tiger sals brought into the state by humans. So they made it illegal to bring in or to own any Ambystoma genus salamanders in California as a protection for the native tigers.

spiro666

Reaction score
So pretty please, with sugar on top, do not take your axolotls and release them into the wild if you "get over" your pet. We do not need California's version of the Hawaiian mongoose.

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Axolotls are l
I'm pretty sure they are currently permitted in Hawaii. I've sent a bunch of axies and eggs to Hawaii. I had ag permits every time.

Since this topic cropped up again I'm updating it a little. You now need a USFW inspection and certification to ship axolotl eggs to Hawaii from another state. I think the USFW inspection would be both logistically and cost prohibitive for most people.

These regulations apply to all amphibian and amphibian eggs imported to Hawaii.

Last edited:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1