Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axolotl tank mates

gilbertjelly

Reaction score
Ghost Shrimp they are small bottom feeders that are hard to see, like the temp axolotls like, are bottom feeders, and are really cool. You will lose some, but thats the same with anything in a tank with axolotls

Hi
I've heard that the glass/ ghost shrimp are ok with the axolotls
I was going to give them ago together
Thanks

BIGBODYBEAR

Reaction score
i have a couple of pleco with my tiger salamander larvae , they seem to keep alot of the bottom clean & the water dog doesnt even try to eat them or nibble at all , i guess because plecos dont move much the tiger doesnt see them

natjobe

Reaction score
I have ghost shrimp and white clouds, not feeders.

I have 55 gallon and I throw in about 10 shrimp, usually a few get eaten and the rest quickly learn and keep their distance. Eventually the numbers go down but you just add some more. I am hoping mine will breed and I can have little shrimpies, I think there is enough tiny holes hidden in the drift wood. And basically the same with the white clouds, and they just had babies and so far they have made it 4 days hidden in some floating plants.

BIGBODYBEAR

Reaction score
a month ago i got fresh water flounders & they are real small & good to clean a tank plus they are flat & blend in the back anywhere , i bought 4 & i still have them

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Plecos have sharp spines and tough mouth parts that can inflict some nasty injuries on amphibians. Not to mention they're tropical, where Ambystomatids are not.

arenaboy007

Reaction score
a month ago i got fresh water flounders & they are real small & good to clean a tank plus they are flat & blend in the back anywhere , i bought 4 & i still have them

Clean the tank, I thought they where carnivores? How big is your tank?

Dragonfire

Reaction score

They are not suitable as cleaners and are completely carnivorous. They also need sand but tolerate the same temps as axolotls and probably wont harm the axolotl though and will share food and will bury themselves if an axolotl comes nearby so shouldn't get eaten. But as they get larger they do better in brackish water so I would move them to light brackish Once they grow to about 3 inches and then slowly increase the salinity as they grow. Also once they get large they could easily ambush an axolotls gills or toes and do serious damage so I wouldn't risk that.

Boomsloth

Reaction score
They are not suitable as cleaners and are completely carnivorous. They also need sand but tolerate the same temps as axolotls and probably wont harm the axolotl though and will share food and will bury themselves if an axolotl comes nearby so shouldn't get eaten. But as they get larger they do better in brackish water so I would move them to light brackish Once they grow to about 3 inches and then slowly increase the salinity as they grow. Also once they get large they could easily ambush an axolotls gills or toes and do serious damage so I wouldn't risk that.

Pretty sure this guys flounders have become adults a while ago. As for this discussion on tank mates, I think its been mentioned that plecos have on occasion sucked onto axolotls and removed their slime coat/skin. I wouldn't be surprised if flounder attempted the same thing. there are no real good tank mates for axolotls and guppies and shrimp are just inevitable food to them.

alotlfun99

Reaction score
the way to go is single species tank as the axolotls may eat all your fish. also bottom feeders tend to have spines wich if the axolotl tries to swallow it will rip through its lip. axolotls also have very sensetive and thin skin so when your bottom feeder gos up to your sleeping axolotl it will damage the skin and then your axolotls are prone to infection. please do not mix.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!