First axolotl.. Bit worried

Snailkiller

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, I recently got an axolotl, he's about 10 cm and in a small (not too small) tanl at the moment as I'm waiting for the new tank to come, I got him from a shop, he was the only one in the tank along with lot of fishes and newts.. So I thougth it would be better to take him away from such place.. Anyway, it's been 3 day now, and he ate something on the first day at home.. But after that he didn't ate anything else.. Been trying to feed him directly with tweezers but he just ignore that.. Also he sleeps really a lot, I wake him up around 2 in the afternoon cause it makes me worry.. The water level are fine and so the temperature wich is constantly abou 17 degrees to 18 celsius.. When he's awake he goes around to explore.. I actually don't see any big sign of stress, I think he's still settling in.. But I'm worried about the fact that doesn't eat.. He made a big poo the first day home wich seemed ealthy.. Any reccomendations? I ve been "feedin" him dry food stick especially for axolotl, I've been a bit busy so couldn't get earthworms still.. I also have dried bloodworms but again he didn't even flinched when I tried to feed him.. Is that normal?

He may be stressed. I would dangle a one inch piece of earthworm in front of his mouth frequently until he eats. Or you could leave it in front of him but don't leave may pieces of dead worm because then they will foul the tank. Good luck.

I always clear the water from the food, i just tried with blood worms, the frozen one, but nothing yet.. I'm just wondering if it is normal after the change and maybe I'm worrying too much.. Cause after all he doesn't show up any other stress form.. Like gills or tail.. Or even behaviour.. He hangs around and explore.. Seems quite fine in there apart the fact that doesn't want to eat..

Axi eat one day yes and 3day not!
Dont worry!

Thanks for saying that, it actually calms me a bit.. He's still not eating, but pooped a total of three times since he arrived home.. Probably he feels full from the other days? But when I look at him he still seems perfectly not stressed..

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back