Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Newbie - Need help with behavior/feeding questions

tgook

Reaction score
I am trying not to be one of THOSE new axolotl parents, who worry about everything they do...really I am! Buuuut, apparently the worry wart gene runs strong in me. I picked up my first axolotl at a local reptile expo last Saturday. He went into my 20g long aquarium that I have had set up and cycling for 6 weeks in my high school science classroom. He is roughly 6 1/2 months old GFP Golden albino. Anywho, I've got a couple questions...

First, does anyone have an axie who is SCARED of live earthworms?!?! I've gotten my new boy (roughly 6" long) to eat only a couple of pieces of earthworms. Both times he was moving around the tank, struck, swallowed, and refused more. The past 2 times I tried, he was sitting still and the worm was moving. If it touches him, he runs backwards! He was raised on pellets and I have been able to get him to eat some of those but he still doesn't have much of an appetite. Could he really not like the worms or is it because he is used to pellets?

Second question revolves around activity levels. For the first 48 hours I had him, my little guy was very active. He zoomed all over the tank and explored all of the decorations. After I fed him his last earthworm he acceptedid (yesterday morning), he suddenly became a recluse. He hides in his cave or behind one piece of driftwood all the time. Is that usual for a 6 month old axie settling in? It was like he use turned off a switch and didn't want to be active anymore!

Last question, promise! How often should he be pooping? I've had him since Sat and have yet to see any evidence of poop. Granted, he hasn't had much appetite but still. Occasionally his back end does float up but usually when he wants to stay down he does. Should I be concerned?

And for general info, he is in a planted, cycled 20g long tank. I've checked water parameters (ammonia zero, nitrite zero, nitrates 5) and temp is staying between 67-68F

The first picture is him today during oneach of the few times he came out of hiding. The second picture is the day I brought him home. The 3rd pic just shows his set up a bit better.

Thank you for any and all help!

Attachments

• 20170222_162913.jpg
    20170222_162913.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 217
  • 20170219_075601.jpg
    20170219_075601.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 157
  • 20170219_075250.jpg
    20170219_075250.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 153

Jazzy says yarr

Reaction score
How large is he? The bigger they are, the less often they tend to eat, from what iv read.

Also, was his cloaca that swollen when you got him? He looks like he might very well be getting constipated.

If you havent noticed any stool at all, i would fridge him. They have a very informative guide on fridging in the illness subforum.

Good luck with him; he really is a beauty.

Jazzy says yarr

Reaction score

tgook

Reaction score
Thank you for responding!

He is just over 6 inches long and almost 7 months old according to the breeder I bought him from on Saturday. His cloaca actually seems less red/swollen now though I had attributed the size to him being male. Is that not the case? Should I be concerned about the size? The first pic was yesterday while the 2nd/3rd pics were from Saturday when I brought him home.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!