Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: What non-aggressive fish can be paired this axolotls?

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Reputation smack @ our impolite and incorrect friend Roc.

roc

Muted for ignoring multiple warnings
Reaction score
Did the puffer fish not need much warmer, brackish water 4 months ago? Are good nitrite levels and pH going to change the basic nature of a carnivorous predator? Is heeding the logic of replicating a native, natural environment and the advice of accumulated and photodocumented knowledge what makes one a moron? :confused:

-Eva
As I stated before, These animals are all to big for each-other to eat or prey upon. Also I feed them.;) Brackish water was not an absolute must for the puffer but temp was. My whole point with all of this is that you guys on here are so one sided about your favorite animals (newts) that when someone is looking for advise they could get a bias opinion and not SO much fact. The fact is that, yes you can pair newts with fish. It actually CAN work. Does every combination work?
Probably not. When someone gives opinion as fact that could make that person moronic.:D

blueberlin

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
The fact is that, yes you can pair newts with fish. It actually CAN work. Does every combination work?

Yes indeed, you surely can pair axolotls with fish (I can't speak about other salamanders because I only have axolotls). To Travis' original question from November, there are fish you can keep together with axolotls, as long as you accept that they are feeder fish. The fish should be of a kind that stays small, does not nibble or suck at plants (and therefore get a hankering for axolotl gills or skin), and tolerates the low temperatures required by an axolotl.

If the axolotl keeper is intending to breed the axolotls, it should also be considered that fish may try to eat the eggs and/or larvae.

-Eva

Kal El

Reaction score
roc said:
The fact is that, yes you can pair newts with fish. It actually CAN work. Does every combination work?

I'm sure there are people away from this site that could humour you.

Jay.

crazyfishlady

Reaction score
Hello roc, I have been a fish keeper for many years now and I do have a green spotted puffer/leopard puffer. I have just joined this site recently because I love axolotls and they are hard to come by. I belong to three different fish forums if you would like their sites, I would gladly give them to you as, they have been very helpful to me.

When I first received my puffer about, two years ago, I had kept him in a 10 gallon freshwater tank. But, as the fish grows larger he/she will need more room and the salinity of the water will need to increase. Pay attention to the color of your puffers belly if, it's black usually it means there's something wrong but, my puffer will just turn black if he's not receiving enough attention. What do you feed your puffer? The beak on the puffer will keep growing like gerbils teeth. It must either be fed something to file it down(snails, clams, etc) or you must manually trim it yourself. This fish is a lot more work than most people think. I have a 10 gallon tank that I specially breed snails just for the puffer and I upgraded to a 72 gallon saltwater tank. As the puffer grows it will need a full saltwater tank or your puffer may not live long. All the information I have provided has been from my own personal experience and much research. Here are some very informative websites I would definately recommend taking a look at: (http://www.aquatic-hobbyist.com/profiles/brackish/gsp.html) <~~~~Look at the water chemistry on that first site. (http://greenspottedpuffer.net/) <~~~This one is probably the most helpful when it comes to the GSP.

I would also like to add that the GSP will get more aggressive as he/she ages. It may or may not be fin nipping right now but mine is about it's max size now and eats large rosies, mollies, jumbo size cocktail shrimp, full size crayfish, freeze dried krill, crabs, snails, meal worms(not recommended, very messy) and anything else he can get into his mouth. The only reason he hasn't attacked my eel may be that the eel is too fast and three times the size of the puffer. He also tries to take bites out of my fingers while I'm performing any maintanence to the tank.

I know it is hard to remain cool when strangers are telling you that you're doing everything wrong, I have had experience with that myself. Sometimes it deters me from posting questions at all but, just take it with a grain of salt and do as much research as you can to better the life of your pets. Most people are just trying to help. Take care.

Last edited:

Basheta

Reaction score
Yes indeed, you surely can pair axolotls with fish (I can't speak about other salamanders because I only have axolotls). To Travis' original question from November, there are fish you can keep together with axolotls, as long as you accept that they are feeder fish. The fish should be of a kind that stays small, does not nibble or suck at plants (and therefore get a hankering for axolotl gills or skin), and tolerates the low temperatures required by an axolotl.

If the axolotl keeper is intending to breed the axolotls, it should also be considered that fish may try to eat the eggs and/or larvae.

-Eva

I'm in the process of setting up an axolotl tank. I'm still learning. What type of guppies do you keep in the tank? How often to you have to add more in? Do you feed you axolotl anything or just him hunt when he's hungry? How does this effect your tank in regards to cleaning?

I know that's a lot of questions, thanks for any info you can give.:lol:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!