Tylototriton shanjing death

R

rob

Hey all,

Very sad news that one of my T. Shanjing is dead this evening. This morning I fed them all, but he did not eat that I saw (I'm unsure if he ate, as every other one I own has either ate from my hand or I've seen eat except him). I had a little glass tupperware dish in there for the past month, with somewhere between 1/2 and 3/4 or an inch of water in it.

For the whole day he was sitting with his backend in the water with his front end up out of the water against the edge. When I found him, he was laying underwater dead.

I know T. Shanjing, as well as most terrestrial species are not good swimmers and can drown, but the lip of the bowl is only another 1/2 an inch out of the water.

I only use water that is left to stand for 24 hours or longer, with some stress coat in it. That water level had been replenshed today, as it was down to around 1 cm.

All of the other mandarins go in and out with ease, as well as the other one that was in at the same time this afternoon when I fed and raised the water back up to normal level is doing fine and still begging me for food (which I think is suprising from such a shy species, but he was missing an eye when I got him and I think he has trouble hunting prey without me hand feeding him).

If anyone has any thoughts, I'd be interested to hear them. Currently I thought maybe drowning, but I thought it was too shallow. I also thought perhaps old age or disease (I've had them for around 3 months and haven't seen any ill signs in them as of yet).

Thanks,
Rob

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back