Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Aggressiveness in T. verrucosus

morg

Reaction score
I have 2 captive bred 2001 Tylototriton verrucosus, who untill now have got on perfectly well.
I recently put them into a larger well cycled tank with lots of plants, and a small land area, [although they never go on land].
The tank is large enough for them to stay apart,but one section is gravel free for ease of feeding, this is where they usually meet up and have a go at each other.
Is aggresiveness common in this species?
Could it be the change that has set them off?
Is it youthfull high spirits that will pass?
MORG

J

john

These guys are so active at their normal temperatures (20 degrees Celsius +) that they get hungry very quickly, particularly youngsters. If you don't feed them regularly (max every 3-4 days, preferably every 2) they will have a nip at each other. You should notice that they let go after a while and similar sized individuals never do any damage to each other. The only time I've seen a juvenile damage another was when it was 4 cm larger than the other (and I shouldn't have had those together anyway...). As far as newts go, these guys are really quite gregarious. I'm keeping 10 large juveniles in a tank that's 45 cm long by 30 cm wide (18 x 12 inches) and they're doing very well together. Since metamorphosis, not a single one has suffered any injury what-so-ever because they don't tend to do each other damage, since they usually realise they haven't got some food in their mouths.

Adults sometimes nip each other, but that's always when they mistake another one for food and they let go almost immediately.

morg

Reaction score
They are fed avery 2nd day with as much as they will eat at in about half an hour.
At present they are eating an amazing amount for the size, much more than any other species I keep.
Since the original posting the 2 seem to have calmed down, still having the occasional nip at each other, but other than that they are fine.
They no longer try to keep away from each other either.

J

john

Yes, they eat a heck of a lot. Most people don't believe me when I say Tylototriton verrucosus is special, quite different in behaviour from Tylototriton shanjing. Behaviour-wise, I'm surprised they're even related ;). They definitely eat more than any other newt I'm aware of, but I think that's because they like warm temperature and move about so much. They are very active little things.

Good luck with them.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1