Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

I can add Hemidactylum scutatum to my list......

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score
So I got a pleasent surprise last Saturday when a few other members stopped by my house. I went digging through my Hemidactylum scutatum tank to show them my adults when low and behold I found not just one female guarding eggs but all three of my females sitting around their eggs!!

The only thing I really did for these guys was give them a really cold winter then I heavily fed them when their tank started warming up. Simple enough!!

Here is their tank. That is in fact live sphagnum moss.
SalamanderTank.jpg

Here is female #1.
IMGP0346-1.jpg

Female #2.
IMGP0348.jpg

Finally, here is female #3. You can start to see the eggs developing in this picture.
IMGP0351.jpg

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Lovely!!!
This species seems to be rather easy to breed (compared to other north american species). At least here in europe i´ve seen several reports of succesful breedings, which is briliant!
I sure would love to get my hands on some nice CB H.scutatum in the future. They have a certain something that i really like.

How long have you had them for??

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Congratulations Justin. I would have loved to have seen them when I was down there.

Alejandro

Caudata.org Donor
Reaction score
Congratulations for such an accomplishment!:happy:

KennyDB

Reaction score
Nice Justin :cool: scuts are high on my fav list, really interesting little critters.
Good luck with the larvae soon ;) and thanks for sharing

pierson_hill

Reaction score
Fantastic! Keep an eye out around hatching time for the mothers assisting the larvae in reaching the water -- I've heard tale of female Hemidactylium carrying larva with their snouts but have not seen this officially documented.

KennyDB

Reaction score
This species seems to be rather easy to breed (compared to other north american species). At least here in europe i´ve seen several reports of succesful breedings, which is briliant!

I only know about two "breedings" (egg depositions), please pb me about those other reports.

taherman

Caudata.org Donor
Reaction score
Great work Justin! They are the best salamander :D Careful though, once you breed Hemidactylium you'll want to breed every plethodontid...

At the zoo some laid early, so we already have larvae in the water. I think that's 4 years in a row now for us. I think this year we may even get some F2s, though I'm not sure if they are quite mature enough.

Make sure you have a good tank of copepods, Daphnia, and the like going. They need lots of very tiny food, and brine shrimp nauplii don't seem to be quite nutritious enough to grow them at a normal pace (though they work to tide them over if you're running low on other stuff)

Feel free to shoot me a PM if you have any questions. Awesome job!
-Tim

johnskillcorn

Reaction score
I find this account interesting. Hemidactylium scutatum, the four-toed salamander is my favourite, for no real reason other than it's quite a quaint little animal.
As the result of a gift of several pairs of this animal from a very generous benefactor (I'll spare his blushes) I was lucky enough to breed this species here in the UK during May/June of 2008, and have a well-documented series of photos if anyone is interested.
John Skillcorn

Attachments

• DSC_0518.jpg
    DSC_0518.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 651

Lisso93

Reaction score
Nice!
Let's see if we can teach the development of the eggs and then its larval development.
Greetings.

eMax

Reaction score
Justin, can you add more details about this setup? And where in the tank they actually bred? Did they lay very close to the water? Do the adults spend much time in the Sphagnum or in other parts of the terrarium? And what do you feed the adults?

Sorry for all the questions, I just love this species and would love to learn as much as I can about breeding these and other tiny plethodontids someday!

DavidHarr

Reaction score
Greetings! I am conducting a comparative study of fully and semi-aquatic salamanders and am looking to broaden my study by adding some additional species. I am on the lookout for the following types of salamanders, wild caught or captive bred, and was hoping you might be able to help me out: Hemidactylum larvae, Gyrinophilus larvae, Typhlotriton and/or Typhlomolge. My name is David Harrington and I have almost 30 years experience caring for and studying amphibians. I am in a position to pay for any animals including the shipping costs to Oregon where I live. I have all the necessary tanks, pumps, filters, chillers and other equipment and supplies to keep all salamanders happy, healthy and secure. Please contact me at your earliest convenience if you or somebody you know can help me out You can contact me directly at: (503)238-2800 or e-mail me at: david7945harr@yahoo.com Thank!

Great Regards,
David Harrington, Herpetologist & Independent Researcher

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1