Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

What color will Axolotl babies be?

axolotl2016

Reaction score
The mother is a leucistic and father a wild type. Some of the babies i know are wild types the others im not sure on. they have white/clear bodies and a gray head. some of them the gray marking goes down their back. Are theys going to be Leusistics with so type of markings? or something else all together?

LSuzuki

Reaction score
How old are they? Can you post pictures?

It sounds like probably you have wild types and leucistics.

Can you see the eyes easily on all of them? If you have albinos, their eyes are much harder to see even at a very young age.

If you have melanoid genes in both parents, you should have some melanoid offspring. Some people are good at identifying them from pictures - I need to wait until I can see the lack of an iridescent ring around their eyes.

axolotl2016

Reaction score
they hatched one day ago some have black looking eyes and some have eyes that look white. here is a pic i was afraid to get my phone any closer lol 12575937_913761032054287_1902764032_n.jpg

LSuzuki

Reaction score
Cool! Sound like you have albinos too!

If you have albinos, leucistic, and wild type, (but no melanoid) then based on what is known about the parents, 1/8 should be golden albino, 1/8 should be white albino, 3/8 should be leucistic, and 3/8 should be wild.

axolotl2016

Reaction score
ok cool :D going to have lots of diff colors then thanks for all your help !

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1