Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Leaving my axolotls for 4/5 days

Crnk29

Reaction score
Hey guys!
I currently have 2 axies, both around a year old, and later this month i will be going out of town, unable to feed them for about 4 days. previously on shorter trips i have fed them well the day i leave and i pick up some ghost shrimp for them to snack on while i'm gone. If i feed them before i leave and pick up around 20 ghost shrimp for them the hunt and eat while im gone, should they be ok for that amount of time?
Thanks alot
Ben

MnGuy

Reaction score
Five days isn't too long to leave them unfed. I have a reef aquarium, a 10 gallon freshwater tank and three newts and white cloud minnows in a 20 long. I have left them all unfed for up to 7 days with no issues. Feed everyone well before you go, and feed well when you return.

If you're able to leave some live feeders in the tank, sure, go for it. But I'd also be careful about putting in so much that you risk the chance of overfeeding your axolotls, or, risk a nitrate spike if the feeders all die all of a sudden.

Good luck.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!