Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axolotl emergency

Axolot420

Reaction score
Hello friends, its been several years since I've been here and I've learned lots since and started a new tank, i recently rescued a juvenile melanoid axie from a local pet shop that was keeping her in awful conditions, she was in the tropical fish section of the store which was staying about 82 degrees and her gills are severely damaged and almost nonexistent, i took her home and got her set up in a tank her water is at about 62 F now and she's eaten 5 small red wigglers since i brought her home yesterday, my main concern came this morning after feeding her 2 worms yesterday and 3 this morning she began spitting up all the contents of her stomach, i quickly dismissed this as my mistake of over feeding when i watched her spit up a piece of gravel!! this gravel could not have come from my tank as all my rocks are as big as her head or bigger (she is about 6-7 inches from nose to tail) and now she will not eat more wigglers, I'm worried there still may be some gravel impacting her and am not sure what to do! she is not floaty at all and does not seem to be in any kind of stress which i was i was so surprised to see her spit up the gravel, any help or considerations re greatly appreciated! thanks

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
I'd just keep it in the cool tank and feed lightly. If the gravel is not to big it might come out.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!