Question: When do i reintroduce my babies?

McReel

Reaction score
Country
Belgium
Hello all,

I have 2 baby Axolotls that are about 2 months old now.
I used to have about 30, but after a 3-day holiday, the 2 larger ones

They are in a seperate tank inside.
My 2 adults live in a pond outside. Don't worry, they are doing fine, they love hunting live mosquito larvae.

32147719_10214806539290024_5357767355805990912_n.jpg

My question, when is it safe to let the younglings back with their parents?
They are the only 2 left from about 30 hatchlings.
We went on a 3-day holiday and 2 grew large fast, and had a nice feast together.
I really don't want to lose those 2.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Don't reintroduce until the babies are the same size as the adults, to avoid nipping/snacking.
Cannibalism is normal in babies sadly, it's always good to keep them as separate as possible :(

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back