Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Help with New Axie Tank Setup/Cycling?

astroaxo

Reaction score
Hi! I'm getting a tank and setting it up hopefully in the next couple weeks for my first axolotl! I just had a few questions regarding tank cycling and water testing:

How do you measure nitrite/nitrate/ammonia?
How long should I cycle a tank before putting an axolotl in?
What should I put in the tank to start cycling it? (I've seen people use like a 'cycle start' chemical or something similar but others use fish food)
What levels of nitrite/nitrate/ammonia should I be aiming for when cycling?

Thanks!

Kingfisher

Reaction score
Hi astroaxo

I'm going through the same process. To test for ammonia, nitrite and nitrates you'll have to purchase a water testing kit. The most popular type is the API Freshwater Master Kit. The instructions will tell you have to do the testing. It's pretty easy but you can't be colour blind to use it.

Ideally, you should wait until your tank is completely cycled before putting your axxie in the tank. This can take weeks! I got mine two guys unexpectedly so I have them in a small tank doing about a 80-90% water change every day until my larger tank's filter is fully cycled. It's been 3 weeks and I'm only half way done the cycling. I have 0 ammonia and waiting for the nitrites to go to 0. I'm doing a fishless cycle with household ammonia. I've read people doing a cycle with the axolotl in the tank but I'm sure it's harder on the animal.

Like I said, I used household ammonia and I put some filter material from an established tank. You can put fish food but it's not as precise. Google aquarium cycling or fishless aquarium cycles. There's tons of information.

You're aiming for 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites and low nitrates. You'll always have nitrates but they're not as dangerous to your pets. You get rid of them by water changes. The testing kit manual has all that info as well.

Good luck with your new axolotl!

lilyoel

Reaction score
A few mistakes I just made were adding feeder fish to the tank without quarentining them first, adding fish to the axolotl tank, using feeder fish that contain thiaminase (ruby red/fathead minnows) which deprives the axolotl of vitamin B1, and adding an improperly seeded sponge filter to the tank. Avoid doing these things.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!