Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

What is really the best size tank for multiple axolotls?

hpfan

Reaction score
I originally had a 5 foot long 100 gallon aquarium. It was stored in a garage until
I was ready to get an axolotl, but a family member accidentally hit it with a lawnmower and damaged it earlier this summer. A teenage family member and her friend saw it and then decided to smash it so I never got to see if it could be repaired.

I have been trying to find a similar aquarium, but not having luck finding another decent one in my area in my price range. If I don't find one that size, I would like advice about smaller aquariums. I was hoping to get 3 or 4 axolotls. I have found aquariums that are 75-90 gallons and around 4 feet long. I currently have two spare 55 gallon aquariums that are 4 feet long. I know the general rule is 20 gallons per axolotl, but I want to know from experienced owners the number of axolotls and aquarium size they truly advise for healthy and happy axolotls.

I am thinking of creating a second level with additional hiding spots no matter what size I use. I will have everything completely set up before I get any axolotl.

Hayleyy

Reaction score
The most important thing is floorspace so if you can add levels then you can get away with a smaller tank. Gallons is the easiest way to judge, so 20 gal for the first then 10 gal for each extra axolotl. This is also important for filtration as they are really messy and the bigger the better to keep it clean. I think it's the same for feet (someone correct me if I'm wrong), so 2ft for one then an extra foot for each axolotl.
I've seen some chain pet store in the US do $1/gallon sales or something (which is amazing, I wish we had that!) so if you have one near you keep an eye out for that. Second hand tanks will also be a lot cheaper than new so watch for them too.

KumquatSquats

Reaction score
I follow the 20gal for the first + 10 gal each rule, i have 3 in a 40 Breeder and am setting up a second one now for my 2 living in isolation tubs. I think a 55 gal would be great for 3-4 axolotls, i see them up for sale secondhand all the time on craigslist in the $40-60 range.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!