Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axolotl with black marks and strange lump

KatanaSoul

Reaction score
I thought that now might be the time to bring this up. My leucistic axolotl, Finnegan has had these black marks appearing along his back, along with a strange lump. I came here to find out information, and I read that it's normal for older axies to develop dark marks and the occasional lump, so I brushed it aside.

Today however, I noticed he was thrashing about a little, it looked like he was trying to twist his body to get at the lump. I was also concerned how big it was growing, so I separated finnegan from his tank mate to inspect it. I gently rubbed his side with a cotton bud, only to find the black marks were coming off (and he twitched sharply like it caused him pain.)

I feel terribly guilty that I should've noticed this sooner. Is there anything I can do to treat this lump and black 'mold'?

There's also an unrelated bump on his forehead that he's had for years. (image 3)

https://i.imgur.com/1INLejm.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/gbUxhIB.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/3mzGCK5.jpg

The short nub gills are a result of another slightly more aggressive wild type tank mate.
Finn hasn't had any trouble eating. He still eats regularly, albeit with a little less 'gusto' than he used to.

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think the black is not as worrisome as the bloated looking chin. I wish an axie keeper would weigh in; I've never kept axies.

xxianxx

Reaction score
The bloated throat is often a sign of bacterial infection , i havent a clue about the black marks.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1