Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Mosquitos

xxianxx

Reaction score
I have a number of outside tanks/tubs to breed daphnia and random pond bugs, I have noticed that mosquitos prefer to breed in black buckets rather than white tubs or tanks. Has anybody else experienced this ? I use the larvae to feed a number of amphibians, particularly newly morphed xenopus who are attracted to the fast movements they make when startled. Is there any particular reason why mosquitos prefer to breed in black buckets ? I have more larvae in fifteen liter buckets than 50 gall tanks.

mr cyclone

Reaction score
I believe its a form of camouflage ,when you go on holiday always wear light coloured clothing at night,they are attracted to dark colours.This is the same for fresh water midge.
I always look for the beastie thats bitten me in the room im sleeping in,as they hide on dark spots .I've squished one thats hidden on a picture on the wall that had a black speckle on it,unbelievable!
So to answer your question i think its so they can stay hidden and not get eaten
(Damned beasties have been biting my foot) lol

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I've never thought it could be colour related but they do prefer the tiny puddle in an old tyre that i have to any of the buckets and tanks. i thought that they went for the smaller volume because there was less chance of fish eating the larvae? I just wait for the floating eggs to appear in the tyre and move them where i want them!

Dara

Reaction score
That was interesting informetion for me. Thanks for starting this thread.

Rayadientes

Reaction score
Darker places are always better for every singles insect, mosquitos, worms, whatever.
I dont know the explanation.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!