Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

EEEEK!!! Morphing Axolotl!!!

kclinton

Reaction score
Just a thought, could it be a ammonia burn, before you bought him. Might be whats wrong with his gill also.

avalon_princess

Reaction score
Not familiar with what ammonia burn looks like in axies, but this could be some demented type of raised scar tissue, like scab. I'd say the shriveled gills were definitely caused by poor water conditions. Somehow I don't their gonna grow though, since the filter I added to his tank I had to fiddle with and make it cascade several times onto filter floss to stop too much water movement in the tank. LOl plenty of aeration there, just want to see him using his gills.

kclinton

Reaction score
Once he feels better I think his gills will grow back some what. My first guy had all most all his gills gone they grew back fine. he also started eating like crazy. He might like some live plants floating in the water on top.

kclinton

Reaction score
Hornwort grows just about any place. Real hardy plant. It's my new favorite plant. I can't kill it.

avalon_princess

Reaction score
LOl I can, everytime I try it melts on me. The lighting is really poor in the recroom where the fish are, the only plants that are happy are Java Moss, and the emergents that are rooted in the tanks with their tops sticking out a window.

avalon_princess

Reaction score
Lol I haven't actually managed to find them.

Some new pics, a better pic of Morpheus
edit2resize-1.jpg

and I finally got a clear pic of the gunk on his tail
editresize.jpg

kclinton

Reaction score
To me it looks like a wort or a mass of eggs ewe poor thing. Don't think it's ammonia burn. He looks fatter is he eating moor?

avalon_princess

Reaction score
He's eating tonnes, I keep thinking I should feed him less, but he eats everything and was thin to start with. Right now he's eating a cube of bloodworms everyday as well as a few freeze dried whole shrimp which he loves. Will start breaking that down soon though to the same just every other day.

Yah, it looks like a mass of eggs to me too, but what on earth would lay eggs that large on an axolotl? fish wouldn't, and I can't think of any insects that actually lay eggs that size.

kclinton

Reaction score
Maybe a parasite, leach, mutant bug... Dose it look any diff. after salt baths?

kclinton

Reaction score
Soory just thought of this one do you think a sucky fish might latched on to him?

avalon_princess

Reaction score
Just an update

Morpheus is doing really well, the funny egg mound thingy it still there, and nothing I do will change that. Just noticed he had a bit of fungus almost suspended in his slime coat so he's getting salt baths again, but otherwise he's become nice and tubby, eats anything and everything and is doing great. I recently lost Pendragon, so once the tank is sterilized Morpheus will move out of his tub into the glass tank.

His gills are growing back in, with plenty of filaments and he looks kinda odd missing most of his dorsal fin and his weird eyes, but he's doing great.

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I’ve not seen a growth such as that before. My guess would be a type of lymphocytis or tumour (lymphocytis is normally associated with fish and I'm not sure it infects amphibians). It may be benign but it looks like the sort of thing that may invite secondary infection so keep an eye on it.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!