alpestris temperature

fishkeeper

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Joseph S
Just wonderign what temps is everyone keeping all those alpestris at, mainly summer temps(land and water). They are really tempting, but if as CC says they cannot take temps much above 73 I have trouble seeing how you all are able to keep them!

Hi, my T.alpestris apuanus get along with maximum temperatures of 24 or 25°C during the summer.
Olaf

When it gets hot, people either keep them in their basement, or in an air-conditioned room. Sometimes people use various tank-chillers (you can do a search of that if you're interested), use a fan on top of the water, or put frozen bottles of (treated) water in there.

See this article:

http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/cooling.shtml

35C(air temp I'm assuming!)=77F! Were the animals aquatic or terrestrial in these temps? May be doable if I can lower temps by 3-4 degrees.

Also, that is a great article otterwoman...have no idea how I missed it!

Here in Utah we had a record breaking hot summer, but my Maa tank located in my basement never got higher than 68F. I do nothing special to lower the temps other than keeping the tank only about 6 inches from the floor, and keeping it in the basement.

Houses in CA lack basements....but if our house had one it'd be a great place to move everybody.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back