O.ophryticus juveniles

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Country
Spain
Display Name
Rodrigo
Since i managed to take a couple of decent pics of my ophryticus i thought i´d post some. They are such cute little babies...
The first pic is of the three smaller ones, note the curious three different colorations. The second one are the two bigger ones(one of them didn´t feel like colaborating), they eat great.

Attachments

• P1050834.JPG
    P1050834.JPG
    76.2 KB · Views: 293
  • P1050836.JPG
    P1050836.JPG
    84.7 KB · Views: 353
Nice pics Rodrigo, how big are they now? Mine also have different shades of brown, I wonder if this means anything. The lighter brown specimens seem to grow a little better in my case.

food

Just wondering what do u feed them?

They're lovely, Rodrigo:) I'll try to get some pictures of mine too.

p3t: I was feeding mine fruit flies, but I find they are growing much better now that I'm getting them pinhead crickets regularly. They also have some tiny woodlice in the tub, and every week i throw in some tiny worms. I don't know whether they eat these latter 2 foods, since I cannot measure the disappearance of these.

My thoughts exactly Jen, I am now in the process of breeding my own pinhead crickets because of this. A lot of my juvies seem to prefer this above fruitflies, bot the small and big fruitfly. I can only applaud this, since dusting and gutloading is much easier with crickets.

The three smaller ones are around 4 cm(one of them maybe a little less), the two bigger ones 5cm.
I´m feeding them drosophila, and frozen bloodworms to two of them(the other three won´t touch them). I run out of earthworms in a bad moment hehe...but they seem to be doing fine this way. I´m probably getting woodlice soon, and despite the horrible cold outside i hope to manage to get some earthworms.

Jen i fed mine pinheads and even removing the hind legs the smaller ones seem to be picky in chosing which ones they swallowed and which ones they spit out, so they ate them but only the very tinnier ones and still i think they are taking drosophila better. Please keep us posted about the growing results! My small ones are growing sooo slowly....

btw coen, i´ve observed, the lighter ones grow better or at least are eassier to feed, maybe just a coincidence, it will be fun to see if when they grow this colour differences mean anything.

food

Thanks for the information.

Just a little update, while two of my juvies are still barely 4 cm, another two are starting to grow faster....and there´s the last one, this one is huge compared to its siblings...it´s 6,5 cm long now and growing in front of my eyes, really impressive.
So i´m having big differences between them...ones hardly grow at all, ones do just fine, growing normally, and one of them is growing extremely fast.
I´m hoping to order new food items very soon so that i can vary their diet. I hope to see some changes in the growth of the smaller ones. The confussing thing is they all look plump, and they all eat well....but the growth rates are so dispair...
Here are a couple pics of the bigger one, my pride and joy :p

Attachments

• Ophryticusjuvie.JPG
    Ophryticusjuvie.JPG
    53.5 KB · Views: 242
  • P1060085.JPG
    P1060085.JPG
    101.9 KB · Views: 218
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back