Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

what to feed baby marmoratus?

snussmak

Reaction score
hi i've just bought a pair of baby t.marmoratus. the only thing i'm a bit worried about is what to feed them, in most cases i use small worms or larger worms chopped to pieces. but could i use frozen bloodworms that have been thawed? they have just metamorphosed to their terrestrial state, they are about 3-4 cm long. what other food items could you guys recommend?

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Let´s see...worms would be the best option as always. Tiny slugs may also be very atractive to them.
Then you can also feed waxmoth larvae, isopods, crickets, and even tubifex or black worms on damp kitchen paper. As for the bloodworms...it will require patience. They usually only react to moving food items...and more specifically self-moving foods (moving it with the tweezers doesn´t always work xD). I´ve found that nearly all my juveniles won´t take them at first...but after some weeks of loooots of patience they may try a bit....after that they become rabid eaters and always want more bloodworms Ô_o xD They really must taste good...some of my animals have a huge feeding response with them.
Oh...btw, if you use frozen bloodworms just let it defrost on some kitchen paper or in some water...
Best of lucks, you´ll enjoy these little buggers ;)

snussmak

Reaction score
thanks, as soon as it gets a little bit warmer i will go out and search for some small critters ^^
we're wondering if it would be any idea of purchasing fruit flies

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
They will eat fruitflies until they are about 7 cm i guess...then i think they may loose interest on them(maybe not)...plus you´d need lots of them to feed them at that size. Also marmoratus tend to make quite robust, strong juveniles...so if you can feed them bigger preys (and they will take them...you might be shocked) why offer fruitflies?...it´s just not necessary in my opinion...
If i were you i would feed them earthworms and frozen bloodworms...and ocasionally a vitamin/calcium dusted cricket...i think that would be quite a decent diet.

Last edited:

snussmak

Reaction score
aren't crickets a bit diffucult to digest due to their exoskeleton? besides, if i'm going to buy that small crickets i'll have to buy a bunch of them (about 50-60) otherwise they will be to expensive, and the crickets will guaranteed be fully grown before i have used them up :)

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
In my experience, small crickets are a much better "growth" food than fruit flies, even if ample amounts of either are provided. The smallest crickets have a fairly soft exoskeleton. My marmoratus juveniles were very non-picky about food and would even eat small mealworms (and those certainly do have an exoskeleton!).

If you have only 2 marms, I would recommend trying to teach them to feed from a tweezer or toothpick. Once they learn, you can feed them any food and you will not be dependent on live food. Try with thawed bloodworms or pieces of earthworm. Marms do become tame fairly easily.

Good luck with them!

snussmak

Reaction score
thanks, i've always feeded my newts and salamanders with tweezers. in that way i can turn to frozen food when i run out of worms and such (especially during the long cold winters here in sweden). bought them yesterday so i'll try to offer some wriggling chopped worms today and see if they want them.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1