My Baby C. orientalis (and my first post)

UnstuckinTime

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey everyone!

So when I first saw that my newts laid eggs, I immediately found my way here for help. I've used a lot of the amazing resources here, both in articles and in the forums. I felt, though, that I really should show you the "end" result so far!! All my wonderful baby newts (which will be up for adoption and a few trades in the future).

Everyone's familiar with what eggs look like:
IMG_1045_zps86831c82.jpg

And then they looked like this guy... (Warning you now, I'm a biologist. Documenting such developmental processes makes me happy, I hope you guys don't mind!)
IMG_1047_zpsa410bcfd.jpg

A little later:
IMG_1052_zpsa13960f6.jpg

Hatched!!
IMG_1054_zpse034f4df.jpg

Growin up
IMG_1086_zpsa3577575.jpg

A bit more...
803944_4981826917490_1001992562_n_zpsf5f9850d.jpg

Then this is the biggest of them, yesterday
IMG_1114_zps0b1248b5.jpg

The proud parents! (as proud as newts can be, anyway)
IMG_1069_zps9a84cbba.jpg

That's Nubs, the father, in the front, and Calypso, the mother, in the back.

Hope you enjoyed the pictures! If you have any questions, I'm happy to answer them. Comments or criticisms are welcome too!

All the best,
CJ

Welcome to the forums!
Those are some lovely pictures, thanks for sharing. Oh, and don´t worry, we are all gigantic nerds around here, we can never have enough of developing embryo pictures. I know i speak for many when i say it makes us happy too :D

Seeing eggs develop and hatch is one of the best part of raising newts for me. It's fascinating and exciting, congrats!

very nice i currently have 5 C. orientalis larvae, yours look very good and i love they way you have magnified them, might have to find something so i can do that

... i love they way you have magnified them, might have to find something so i can do that

Thanks! It's a simple jeweler's loop that was gifted to me to look more closely at my plants. It is frequently found among geologists, as well. It's just a 10x magnification.

they look great! i really hope they will grow up and be some nice newts :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back