Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

What do I do???

Trixie557

Reaction score
I did add the driftwood last night and it seems that having it is making Eclipse rather happy :) - She still refuses worms, but she is used to Red Wigglers and these are Canadian NightCrawlers, so maybe when her worms get here she'll chow down. She'll eat pellets ONLY if she sees one of the others moving about in their tanks (Mayan's tank is literally touching hers and Maude and Mabel's tank is right next to her soon, I know its soon, but how soon till I could put her either back with Mayan (who has pretty much made a full recovery at this point, needs a tad more weight, but that's it) and then how long till I could put all 4 together (Its a 110 gallon tank with PLENTY of hides, plants, rocks (as in BIG rocks that they can sit on or climb on all are MINIUM 4 times the size of their heads), etc)?

E

Elise

Don't forget to take more pictures. I'd love to see how they are doing! Oh yeah, and the new ones too. :p

Petersgirl

Reaction score
The minimum time to be safe moving them all back together depends largely on their 'mother tank' being ready to go with good, cycled, parameter readings and on their size. If your new babies are in the nippy stage (1-5") then it might be worth leaving them to get bigger before introducing them.

A lot will depend on how comfortable you are, but if they all exceed 5" and their big tank is good to go, there's not a lot stopping you. I also would use a divider for the first few days so they can get used to each other, but with all the cool stuff in their tank that might be difficult :)

Glad to hear your babies are better. It's good to know a few troopers can pull through out of a terrible incident like this. Good luck. I hope they continue to flourish.

Trixie557

Reaction score
The new girls are 7-8" lol. The new tank has been cycling, and I'll test it again in a day or two and see how that goes :) I did put Mayan in the 55gallon with them with no issues today! So hopefully in the next few days all 4 will be in one tank, lol. A lot depends on how Eclipse is doing, if I need to keep her out separate awhile longer I will, but she's looking more and more like she'll make it!

*side note I have NO clue if Mayan or Eclipse are male or female yet, lol. And Maude and Mabel's old owner told me they are females, and they look it :)

Trixie557

Reaction score
Pictures!! Everyone is together now. And eating!! This was in my smaller dirt tank (40 gallon), and they get moved to the big tank tomorrow (it's sand). No issues what so ever!

Maude - GFP Luci
Mabel - Luci with face freckles
Mayan - Wild
Eclipse - The little skinny Luci

Attachments

• ca2.jpg
    ca2.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 194
  • ca4.jpg
    ca4.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 196
  • ca8.jpg
    ca8.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 176
E

Elise

Wow, Mayan is absolutely stunning. They all look so healthy! What a difference a week can make. Great job Trixie.

Se

Reaction score
I'm so glad to hear that everything worked out in the end. I'm so sorry about Aztec, but I'm very glad all your others look like they have recovered well and are very happy. They all look absolutely gorgeous!

Petersgirl

Reaction score
Preety lotls!
Just a question; not to be cheeky, but does Mayan have a shiny eye ring? He/she looks very Melanoid-y!

Trixie557

Reaction score
He has yellow around his eyes, but it isn't shiny? LOL, he was sold to me as a wild at 2"

Petersgirl

Reaction score
Looks like he's a Melanoid :) He looks very dark and brooding!

Trixie557

Reaction score
Looks like he's a Melanoid :) He looks very dark and brooding!

How funny! I wanted a Melanoid and couldn't find one... now Eclipse doesn't have a shiny ring around her eyes like the other Lucis do... does that mean anything?

Petersgirl

Reaction score
Now that's a question!
After doing some research I'll take a guess that she is a Melanoid Leucistic. Apparently Melanoids can be any colour - the colour usually seen appears to be the melanoid black colour, but you do get melanoid albinos and leucys as well. Either that or she is axanthic.

http://www.caudata.org/forum/f46-be...-general-discussion/61248-leucistic-eyes.html

According to this, if you have a melanoid leucy she will simply be missing the shiny eye ring and any iridophores or yellow spots. If she is axanthic she will be 'very white' without iridophores or spots. So she is probably a melanoid leucy - axanthics often don't live very long and she seems to fit the description of a Melanoid Leucy.

Looks like you have Melanoids coming out of your ears :)

Trixie557

Reaction score
How intresting! Right now it looks like all the lucis are girls and Mayan is male, lol

Petersgirl

Reaction score
He does appear to have a very 'male' profile from here - slim but well-built and the longer tail :) But of course you'll be in a better position to determine for sure. I often think females look egg-shaped - all rounded at the tummy, slimmer towards the head.

Trixie557

Reaction score
Can I just say... watching Eclipse eat makes me squee with joy :) She's putting weight back on, everyone is LOVING the huge tank. It's fun to try and find where they are chilling every time I walk in my room.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1