Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Name this salamander.

samer

Reaction score
Anybody got an Idea about this little guy? I caught him just outside Ottawa, Ontario last week in a small weedy creek. I'm thinking Four-toed, but just guessing.

Attachments

• OntarioSalamander.jpg
    OntarioSalamander.jpg
    267.8 KB · Views: 1,876

taherman

Caudata.org Donor
Reaction score
Though that is a difficult photo for identification, my money is on Northern Two-lined Salamander (Eurycea bislineata). I think that is an older larva. Your location makes identification a lot easier!

It is definitely not a Four-toed, as they would all be terrestrial by now, and their larvae don't look like that (and wouldnt be in a stream in your area).

Tim

Providence

Reaction score
Oh my, Tim. Could it be possible that my Mole Salamander had Larve (in December)? If so do they look like mosquito larve? I am new to having a salamander as a pet and I just do not know? I also thought it may like to hibernate in my habitat I made for it and I feel bad for changing out the water and dirt every week. LOL Help? Any suggestions?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!