Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Cycling with axolotl in tank!! (with photos)

mnaxolotls

Reaction score
I got my lotl from a local fish store on November 26th. With it, I got a 4.5 gal tank (all in one), bio balls (from the store's existing tank's filter), chemi-pure blue, and Dr. Tim's Live Nitrifying Bacteria. This was before I did any extensive research on them, other than advice I got from the store. When I got home, I set up the tank with sand, and live plants (washing them first) and then filling the tank up with R.O. (reverse osmosis) water. I then added the bio balls, chemi-pure blue pouch to the tank's filter, and adding Dr. Tim's LNB to the water.

My lotl was added immediately.

My lotl since then has never had any issues. in fact, when it was purchased, limbs were barely grown (im guessing tank mate at the store got them. I was under the impression they were BABIES and JUST now growing limbs) but it now has fully grown limbs and has grown to 4 inches from 2.5 inches since I got it. It eats perfectly fine and swims happily around the tank. I was doing 25% water changes weekly up until last saturday (December 23rd) I started to see worms in the tank, freaked out. I did a 100% water change, removed sand and turned it to a bare bottom (for easier maintenance), only to find out they were only harmless detritus worms.

Again, my lotl is still doing great through ALL of this.

I finally purchased a master test kit and started to test the water as of 12/28. I also tested the R.O. water and these are the results...

R.O. Water (before tank)
pH=6.4
Ammonia=0
Nitrite=0
Nitrate=5.0

12/28/17
Ammonia=2.0
Nitrite=1.0
Nitrate=20

12/29/17
Ammonia=0.5
Nitrite=0.25
Nitrate=40

12/30/17
Ammonia=0-0.25
Nitrite=0
Nitrate=80

I have been getting a ton of different conflicting responses from facebook groups and really need some help!

If anyone can let me know what my next steps are, I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks!

Attachments

• RO Water.jpg
    RO Water.jpg
    341.1 KB · Views: 642
  • 12:28:17.jpg
    12:28:17.jpg
    243.9 KB · Views: 433
  • 12:29:17.jpg
    12:29:17.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 535
  • 12:30:17.jpg
    12:30:17.jpg
    324 KB · Views: 443
  • 26236640_10214856816670994_1582866624_o.jpg
    26236640_10214856816670994_1582866624_o.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 866

Eternie

Reaction score
Make sure the pH is no lower than 7.2, you'll need to get it higher if it is. It is also very dangerous to cycle a tank with an axolotl in it, as when the ammonia has a bit of a peak it can cause harm to your Axie. I believe everything else so far is fine. You need a TEN gallon tank per every Axolotl, so PLEASE upgrade your tank as soon as possible. If you need ANYTHING at all, please contact me, I will be more than happy to help with anything. Good Luck, and Welcome to the Wonderful World of Axolotls.

Eternie

Reaction score
And since your are cycling if the ammonia starts to peak again, as it takes 6-8 weeks to cycle, you want to do water changes every other day until it gets back down to zero again, and make sure you arent using straight up tap water, make sure you dechlorinate it, and I strongly recommend if there are Krogers near you, that you go out and buy Kroger Drinking Water, it is my preferred choice, and it is very healthy for them.

shadowfox306

Reaction score
If the ammonia is monitored and the tank is seeded, wouldn't it be safe to have a cycle with an axolotl? Bf and I did that and ours leveled out in a few days and has been consistent for a month now. We have been consistently recording changes and any time ammonia goes to .25 we do a partial change. Also if nitrates are so high, wouldn't a water change help bring that down into a more normal range.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!