Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Clear/White slime?

Enji

Reaction score
I'm a first time axolotl owner, and recently I noticed a clear slimy buildup on the walls of my tank and on the tank decorations, as well as a slowly rising ammonia level. I read somewhere that it could be bacterial outbreak, but I have no idea how to fix it! I've done a mass water change, and that fixed it but it came back the next day. I even tried moving the tank to a less sunny area of the house. I know it's not a cleaning issue, because I do a small water change and vacuum every day. Please help me, I'm extremely worried for my axolotl and don't want her to stress because of the water levels/all the activity that's been going on in her home.

Hayleyy

Reaction score
Is the tank water cloudy?
Bacterial blooms aren't harmful so I would just concentrate on fixing that ammonia. What water conditioner are you using? I use prime because it detoxifies ammonia (my water source has some ammonia so I need to do this). I would do small water changes every day or two, probably 15% to drop the ammonia.

Hayleyy

Reaction score
Oh also, do you know what is causing the ammonia rise? Is there any food or poop hidden under any decorations?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!