The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Axolotl tank set-ups, filters, substrate Discussions on tanks, temperature, filters, gravel, lights etc.

Old 9th February 2019   #1
Em
(Kochebi)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 1
Rep: Kochebi has started on the right path
Default Could a bioload be too low?

I've been looking around trying to find answers on this topic and I have found some advice, but I'm wondering if anyone here has any opinions on this matter. My current tank set up is one adult axolotl living on her own in a 55 gallon tank with a filter meant for a 75 gallon tank. This tank used to house two adult males, but they recently passed away due to a sudden, virulent disease... So the queen now commands this kingdom. I haven't had any problems with the cycle but I'm wondering if this could possibly be harmful in the long run due to a bioload that is just too small? There's never really any spare food in her tank, and I don't plan on getting her tank mates (she snaps at literally everything. Fingers. Plants. Water current. Shadows.) so there's never excess waste buildup. Any input is appreciated!

I'm also looking for suggestions on decor to add layers to her tank. It's a tall 55 and I want to add things to give her the ability to explore more of the water column and laze about in different areas.

Kochebi is offline   Reply With Quote