Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

New Baby Axolotl + Temperature questions!

Pukamaroo

Reaction score
Recieved my little baby on Wednesday and I love them so much! Wanted to pick a name that could be for either a male or female, so I chose the name Ramsey <3 Also that is the name of one of the T-rex from the Good Dinosaur
I'm not exactly sure how to add pictures to my posts, so I hope this work!
Edit: it didn't so here's some direct links
https://m.imgur.com/8Cy3sm8
https://m.imgur.com/uhYwDgL
https://sta.sh/0o56xzdwwcg
The last one is a video. He's about 2 inches!
I know it appears dirty, but it's not. There's small pieces of java moss that broke off and scattered about. I will also eventually add sand when I feel it's safe for him

I also am wondering about how warmer water (70°F- 75°F) really affects an axolotl. I've heard that need a temperature from 60°F 10 68°F and that they'll eventually die if it gets above that. But I've also come across quite a few others who say they've kept their axolotls for years all the way up to 73°F 74°F and they were fine as long as you have really good water quality.
This is very confusing! My water temperature generally stays around 70°F to 74°F depending on how hot it is that day without an AC on, so I don't think I'll have a problem keeping it cool enough for the little guy if I just keep it on all the time. Still, I don't want to kill it! :( I didn't realize how cool they needed to be and I'm not sure when I could afford a chiller so I'd like to know if it'll be okay or not for now

Fireguy

Reaction score
Absolutely not. Temperature may not KILL the axolotl in the 73-74 range but it causes lots of stress on the animal, which many uninformed owners may not see. Keeping it in the 60 degree range is the best to keep your axolotl happy and healthy.

Pukamaroo

Reaction score
Alright thank you! I don't have a problem keeping the temperature low enough for now and I will get a chiller for the little guy as soon as I can afford it

Giuseppe

Reaction score
Having a fan pointed at the water surface is another cheaper option for keeping the tank cool, there are designated aquarium fans or you can use a regular desktop fan. You still may need to invest in a cooler if it doesn't bring the temp down enough but it's worth looking into!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1