Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Firebelly Not Eating

ryan

Reaction score
I bought a piece of driftwood for her to hide from the mean male. She still dosnt eat on her own, but im gunna forcefeed her again soon.

R

rose

havent you tried taken her to the vets for the vets advice, they probably no more about the animals than any of us (no offence if you ARE a vet, any of you) the vet can tell you what to feed her and how, it may just work...

ryan

Reaction score
The other day she actually attacked a cricket, but didnt have the energy to fit her mouth around it and swallow it down. It was a VERY small cricket too. Shes also begun to develop white spots on the top of her head and on her mouth. Im probably going to kill her tomorrow.

J

janine

i have 2 female alpine newts that look exactly the same as your female. they were fine till i went on holiday in september and left them with a 'friend'to look after. when i got back the tank was so polluted my two remaining newts 5 other tank mates had already died. my newts were fat and heatlhy and breeding well in the breeding season, now i have to emaciated newts that i am constnatly worried abouyt and each morning wonder f this is the day i will find them dead. i rthink it will try hand feeding, i didnt think that would be possibel but i will give it a go....good luck with your Ryan

J

janine

well i managed to hand feed one of em and she ate about 6 bloodworms then decided that was enough.......the bigger one of the 2 turned her nose up completely. i have done a water change and put them in a geo with shallower water as i was thinking maybe they didnt have the strength in the deeper water to swin to the bottom and eat, fingers crossed they both pull thro but i will contine to try to hand feed. it was quite easy, just let them sit on my hand and offered them live bloodworms from my finger
happy.gif

J

jennifer

Ugh, another "newtsitter" tragedy. Ironically, most newts do better left alone, rather than cared for. I hope yours pull through.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1