Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Green Salamander (Aneides aeneus) Egg Development

SalamanderAlan

Reaction score
This last summer I monitored about 25 Green Salamander (Aneides aeneus) egg nests in a western North Carolina state park. Usually, Greens lay their eggs two or more inches inside a rock crevice making observation fairly easy but photography difficult to impossible. But this year on June 13 I found a gravid female in a very shallow crevice; in fact the crevice was so shallow that I did not believe that she would lay there. The liability of laying eggs so close to the rock face is that passing predators can easily see the white eggs, and so nests of this type rarely survive. But this female stayed there and a week later on June 21 she laid her clutch of at least 19 eggs. This nest rock was in a rhododendron tangle so I thought that it did have some chance of not being seen by predators. I visited the site every 2-3 days to take pictures as the eggs developed and they successfully hatched 80 days later on September 6. The typical incubation period for Greens in my area is 78 days.

Below is a series of photos of the nesting from the time the female was first seen to after the eggs had hatched. These photos clearly show how the Green's eggs develop.

My photography also showed that eggs occasionally disappear from Green nests. We have long suspected that female Greens can sense the health of the eggs and will remove, by eating, dead or diseased eggs, and one of this female's eggs did disappear during the incubation period.

Female Greens are also able to protect their eggs from being engulfed in wild fungus. We believe she does this by rubbing some secretion from glands on her head onto the eggs. Egg nests abandoned by the female will have a thick fungus growth in about three days after abandonment.

salamanderalan-albums-green-salamander-egg-development-picture35464-day-0.jpg

salamanderalan-albums-green-salamander-egg-development-picture35465-day-1.jpg

salamanderalan-albums-green-salamander-egg-development-picture35466-day-3.jpg

salamanderalan-albums-green-salamander-egg-development-picture35467-day-17.jpg

salamanderalan-albums-green-salamander-egg-development-picture35468-day-23.jpg

salamanderalan-albums-green-salamander-egg-development-picture35469-day-32.jpg

salamanderalan-albums-green-salamander-egg-development-picture35470-day-39.jpg

salamanderalan-albums-green-salamander-egg-development-picture35471-day-53.jpg

salamanderalan-albums-green-salamander-egg-development-picture35472-day-66.jpg

salamanderalan-albums-green-salamander-egg-development-picture35473-day-79.jpg

salamanderalan-albums-green-salamander-egg-development-picture35474-day-83.jpg

salamanderalan-albums-green-salamander-egg-development-picture35475-day-86.jpg

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Those are some absolutely gorgeous pictures! Thank you so much for sharing them with us!
You are very lucky to be able to observe this in nature consistently :)

elKendo97

Reaction score
It is good news to know that this species can breed in captivity, it is very interesting.

I would like see some photos of the setup where you keep.

Greetings.

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
elKendo97 , these are not captive bred, but photographed in situ in their natural environment. Stunning photo's.

elKendo97

Reaction score
I know, but from what I've read in some book this salamander has been bred in captivity only rarely, to what I was referring is that it would be spectacular to see captive breeding.

Sorry, I think I misunderstood the text lol.

SalamanderAlan

Reaction score
ElKendo97, Julia is absolutely correct. This was not a captive breeding at all but was a nest found in the wild. In North Carolina these salamanders are listed as 'endangered' so it would be very much against the law to have one in captivity.

Aneides Aeneus

Reaction score
Wonderful photos - those are some extremely cute juveniles! It is really neat to be able to see the stages of development chronologically in your photos; I don't think I've seen such a good documentation of it anywhere on the internet or in books. Thanks so much for sharing!

-Ananth

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1