Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Conflicting Substrate Information

ORWiggler

Reaction score
We have used Aquasolum black humane from Aquavitro for our bsby Pokey. The pet store which sold it said it is good because if it does get swallowed it will bread right down, being made from clay/dirt essentially. A second pet store we stopped by said to change it because it would be as bad as using gravel in terms of causing impaction. Who do I believe?

Attachments

• 82598DD3-9CE2-4D97-8247-624BD83DBFBE.jpg
    82598DD3-9CE2-4D97-8247-624BD83DBFBE.jpg
    428.8 KB · Views: 153

Krispy

Reaction score
The second pet store has a point because there is still a chance that the substrate won't break down completely.

Kingfisher

Reaction score
I would agree that I would not take the chance on whether or not the substrate would internally break down in your axolotl. I would remove it and either leave your tank with a bare bottom or sand. I kept my tank bottom bare until my axolotl was large enough to start eating worms.

ORWiggler

Reaction score
I get the being rather safe than sorry posts. Thanks for all replies.

To answer questions, The lonly ingredient in it is humus, “the organic component of soil, formed by the decomposition of leaves and other plant material by soil microorganisms.” One axolotl we read said plant based substrates are fine. took some that had been in the back of the tank and mashed it between my fingers easily. It breaks down after I don’t know how long into the plant breakdown products in an axolotl.

KumquatSquats

Reaction score
I get the being rather safe than sorry posts. Thanks for all replies.

To answer questions, The lonly ingredient in it is humus, “the organic component of soil, formed by the decomposition of leaves and other plant material by soil microorganisms.” One axolotl we read said plant based substrates are fine. took some that had been in the back of the tank and mashed it between my fingers easily. It breaks down after I don’t know how long into the plant breakdown products in an axolotl.

ive seen several planted tanks for axolotls that use that soil, i plan to use it myself eventually when i get my BIG tank (my squishies are under 3in currently)

it seems that its mostly used with adult or older juveniles just to be safe, id think about how you feed your little guy and how you see those odds. at the least id feed him on a plate/ flat rock to reduce risks.
personally im using tile as flooring until they are eating earthworms and not messy tiny bloodworms

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!