Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Little axolotl is extremely underweight and not eating

le frog

Reaction score
A few months ago i purchased a small axolotl from Queensland whilst on holiday, but during this school term holiday (about 2 weeks) i wasnt at home and had asked my stepfather to feed him.

When i return the smaller axolotl has lost what looks like half his body weight, which was fairly thin to begin with and simply wont eat anything i offer him, be it earthworms, bloodworms or small pieces of diced kidney (both of my axies usually love this as a treat)

his so thin i can see the individual bones in his arms and legs, his hips, shoulders and the corners of his jaw all stick out against his skin.

Im very worried im going to lose him, and im trying anything i possibly can.

Skudo09

Reaction score
It sounds like he is quite thin and it may be worth following the force feeding tutorial in this section of the forum. It may also be worth a visit to the vet. Is there anything in the tank that he could have eaten and could be causing a blockage in his gut? Could you maybe post some pictures?

le frog

Reaction score
It sounds like he is quite thin and it may be worth following the force feeding tutorial in this section of the forum. It may also be worth a visit to the vet. Is there anything in the tank that he could have eaten and could be causing a blockage in his gut? Could you maybe post some pictures?
I read up on that but i think his too young and just generally too small for this.

here are some pics, sorry im not the greatest photographer in the world:

Attachments

• 20151010_094751.jpg
    20151010_094751.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 777
  • 20151010_094834.jpg
    20151010_094834.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 673

Skudo09

Reaction score
He is emaciated. Do you have a vet in your area? What are the parameters for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, PH and temperature? Have you tried scallops? These wouldn't be great long term but I have heard they are palatable and may encourage him to eat. At this stage it would be worth a shot. I don't think he will survive much longer if he won't eat.

le frog

Reaction score
He is emaciated. Do you have a vet in your area? What are the parameters for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, PH and temperature? Have you tried scallops? These wouldn't be great long term but I have heard they are palatable and may encourage him to eat. At this stage it would be worth a shot. I don't think he will survive much longer if he won't eat.

Problem is im only 15 years old, and when i approached my mum about taking the little guy to a vet she said she would let it die before, and i quote, "wasting money on a stupid fish".

So unless he eats some scallop or something soon, i really dont think his gonna make it :(

Skudo09

Reaction score
Unfortunately, that is a common attitude towards aquatic life :(. Keep offering food and try scallops and see if he will eat them. Keep him in cool, clean water as well to keep stress levels down. Hopefully some more experienced members here maybe able to offer more advice.

MommaBear

Reaction score
How is the little guy/girl doing?

Best advice I have gotten from some of the people on here is to put him in a plastic Tupperware (like a plastic shoebox) and do water changes twice a day while offering food. Keep him in a dark cool area. Can you get your hands on some blackworms?

le frog

Reaction score
How is the little guy/girl doing?

Best advice I have gotten from some of the people on here is to put him in a plastic Tupperware (like a plastic shoebox) and do water changes twice a day while offering food. Keep him in a dark cool area. Can you get your hands on some blackworms?

His still alive as of today, but he has slown right down and last night i even thought he was dead until he moved when i went to scoop out the "body".

Ive got him in a plastic container with a fan and aerator and i change the water in it daily.

We're trying him with a small piece of diced scallop tonight, can you suggest where i would purchase blackworms as my normal pet food store doesnt appear to stock em.

le frog

Reaction score
Thanks for all the help guys, but the little guy passed away last night :(

BabySinclair

Reaction score
My heart goes out to you. I totally understand how easy it is to get attached to these guys. As I love mine dearly.

May I ask if you bought him from a pet store? Generally, pet stores keep these guys in devastatingly poor condition and usually with sick fish. If you are going to attempt this again, please get them off of the Caudata "for sale forum" But make sure you fully sterilize the tank, filter and substrate and get a full cycle going before you get another. Maybe invest in an inline UV filter to prevent any other illnesses.

"Much compassion and many hugs*
I am truly very sorry for your loss :(

le frog

Reaction score
My heart goes out to you. I totally understand how easy it is to get attached to these guys. As I love mine dearly.

May I ask if you bought him from a pet store? Generally, pet stores keep these guys in devastatingly poor condition and usually with sick fish. If you are going to attempt this again, please get them off of the Caudata "for sale forum" But make sure you fully sterilize the tank, filter and substrate and get a full cycle going before you get another. Maybe invest in an inline UV filter to prevent any other illnesses.

"Much compassion and many hugs*
I am truly very sorry for your loss :(

Yes, he was purchased from a pet store, This was whilst on holiday in Queensland.

I think i might consider getting one from here next time, there is a fairly healthy looking individual at a pet store i know has a better history, but its being kept in a tank with pebble bottom so chances are his swallowed something.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!