Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Hybrid Ambystoma mexicanum x Ambystoma andersoni

Joep

Reaction score
thank u all for this topic!!
there are some details about hybrids
in mamals,the males are less fertile for about 5 generations
but,with birds reptiles etc,its the females that have fertilityproblems
it also looks like Ambystoma`s in nature,when there is lack of a partner,they use a subspecies,only a small percentage of the foreign gene will be in the ofspring
our evolution mostly comes from hybridasions!!call it the `new wilderness``
there are excampels of the craziest intercontinental mixes!!
lama X camel,ligers etc
and as long we dont introduce these to the wild,we can make our fancy petanimals more diverse

Joep

Reaction score
A andersoni is sensitive,it will morphe when fed worms,also when waterconditions are bad!!
this year i was very lucky,bred many tigerlike ambystoma`s,not sure about there parents
could be tigers,also could be andersoni,or copper axo??strangest thing is,also golden offspring??

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
They are doing very little.
I keep two outdoors in a large tub, they have stopped eating now and I occasionally see them near the surface resting. There are three in my unheated shed that have now only just stopped eating, these are a little more active. Despite there being at least one male, there has been no sign of eggs.
I'll try and take some photo's of them when it gets a little warmer :D

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
I lost them all during this years big rain storm :( I hadn't thought to check them as they where reasonably sheltered. I think they swam out when the water overflowed, despite having over flow holes around the edge a few inches down. I found a couple the next evening dried out half way down the garden maybe 24 hours later. Oddly enough, despite having a lot of cats that make use of my garden, none had been touched.
I fished out a few of their larvae from their tub and will try and take some pics soon.

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
These are from the hybrids larvae...

Attachments

• 20160904_123158.jpg
    20160904_123158.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 817
  • 20160904_123301.jpg
    20160904_123301.jpg
    167.8 KB · Views: 582
  • 20160904_123332.jpg
    20160904_123332.jpg
    262.6 KB · Views: 578

Joep

Reaction score
i am a reall fan of any hybrid!!call it the ``new wilderness``!!only 2%% of the foreign genes are left after some generations!!no worries!!humans are also hybrids!!

hi, sorry to disagree, but I tend to agree with the idea not to mess with the purity of the andersoni... and while I feel like it's still pretty easy to find pure mexicanum, I would totally feel duped if I bought an andersoni and it wasn't actually one at all, especially if I had in mind to breed them.

I myself toyed with the idea of breeding ambystoma tigrinum with mexicanum, but was promptly corrected by fellow caudata members.:happy: Their points are valid.

Not to mention, I myself am not to impressed with the color pattern of these particular hybrids... much prettier as pure andersoni.

robyn10

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm doing an assignment for University and my focus is on axolotl x Anderson's salamander hybrid husbandry and ontogenics. Would anybody please be able to give me some information or a citation to read?

Thank you!

Robyn

Gcalberto

Reaction score
I just found out today about the existence of Andersoni, which eventually led me to this thread.

In fact, I only discovered it existed because I saw someone auctioning an Andersoni/Mexicanum hybrid in my instagram today.

Now, what I am curious is why do you guys think it's a bad thing to breed those 2 species, provided that the offspring is marketed and sold as a hybrid?

Are you worried because those hybrids might make the captive axolotl populations "dirty", as in not entirely made of either one or the other species?

If it happens, isn't the effect similar to all the inbreeding that has already taken place? That is, in the sense that inbreeding weakens the general health of the population.

Again, I am not saying I agree with the "creation" and sale of hybrids. I am just trying to understand the whole situation better, as I am fairly new to the hobby.

landonewts

Reaction score
I know this is an old thread, but people still read these. A local axolotl breeder here auctions off hybrids. The last one went for $295.00 US. She seems to be taking good care of her “stock” and providing good information to her buyers, but it’s also very much a business, and I have mixed feelings about the whole hybrid thing.

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
It really saddens me greatly that people are greedily selling off hybrids into the hobby and that someone wishes to purchase them as a gimmick. More fool them. I know this is my opinion, and many will disagree, but it is polluting the species. If the hybrids breed, I suspect that the offspring will be passed onto naive buyers. It really needs for buyers of animals to know their providence .

Herpin Man

Reaction score
I don't like hybrids either.
In the colubrid snake breeding world, for example, hybrids are widespread in particular species. People will breed a genetic morph of one species into another species, and virtually never represent them as hybrids when selling them. People also breed hybrids out of curiosity, or because they don't have two of the same species for breeding, or even because they think it will bring them a bit of fame in the hobby. The animals, or their young, change hands a few times, information is lost, and people know longer know what they actually have.
It's not the hybrid animals themselves that I dislike; it's that the rest of us might unknowingly buy hybrids to breed with our own pure animals, and in turn, worsen the problem.

axolotl nerd

Reaction score
this is an incredibly interesting read with lots of respectful, intelligent opinions expressed in responsible, kind ways. i’m very proud of this community as a whole - especially considering you have all supported me personally so much and answered so many of my own questions. i might have to post an appreciation thread about all of you, i’m genuinely so grateful and love this wholesome site so much- thanks to everyone who's contributed :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1