Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Salamandra / Fire Salamander metamorphosis setup

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
So here is the setup I use for metamorphosing fire salamanders. The first time I raised fire salamander larvae was in 2001 and I lost the first to drowning. Since then I've been careful to check large larvae every day and transfer them to a setup like this when their gills have greatly diminished (but not disappeared).

The setup consists of a food container, purchased in bulk from Costco, with dechlorinated tap water that just covers the salamanders, and then a large gravel area they can haul out on. The black colour of the container adds security. Once they have spent at least 24 hours on the gravel I transfer them to a moist paper towel setup and after a few more days they go in their grow-out setup.

The lid (not pictured) has 2-3 holes punched in it, which provides minimal ventilation so that the humidity level remains high while their skin is still changing into the tougher adult type.

Attachments

• Salamandra ss metamorphosis chamber 1-8-2018-.jpg
    Salamandra ss metamorphosis chamber 1-8-2018-.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 674
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!