Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Does anyone keep these?

NewtMafia

Reaction score
I'm just asking,but does anyone keep these salamanders?I ask because there's only one other thread on this subforum?Surely there must SOME people who keep these.If you do,please share your knowledge with the rest of the community.

FrogEyes

Reaction score
I expect the numbers of places these are kept is very low. I kept some years ago, but they are currently protected by WA and OR, and last I looked CA had a limit [as for most species]. They're not good candidates in captivity. They're cryophilic, normally living in water which is 8-12C, and at 17C they start to suffer. They can handle higher temperatures only for short times, and only if acclimated. In short, they MUST be chilled. They also need the water to be clean and well oxygenated. They normally live under rocks at the edges of waterfalls and in or beside he shallow parts of mountain creeks. Many of the adult-sized animals encountered still have tiny gills - which is all they ever have or need to get oxygen in that environment.

The combination of low heat tolerance, need for clean, flowing, oxygenated water, and legal protection makes them unlikely captive candidates. That said, I have a terrarium project set aside, in hope I'll get around to actually completing it and obtaining permits. It's hard enough working with tailed frogs, and torrents are more demanding.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1