Marin County, CA (March 2005)

pete

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Pete
I was organizing my photos and found these pictures. They are from our salamander expedition in Marin County, CA near Mt. Tamalpais back in March 2005. The pictures were taken by a friend who has much better photography skills than me.

An Ensatina
45652.jpg

45653.jpg

Another Ensatina
45654.jpg

45655.jpg

Some Slender Salamanders
45656.jpg

45657.jpg

45658.jpg

A California newt and some more having some fun
45659.jpg

45660.jpg

And two more non-caudata finds...A Pacific treefrog and unexpected scorpion
45661.jpg

45662.jpg

Finally some habitat pics
45663.jpg

45664.jpg

Oops, I just realized the second Ensatina is from a different expedition around the same time, but to <font color="ff0000">(Edited)</font> in the East bay.

(Message edited by apples on October 28, 2005)

Nice pictures, Pete, I enjoyed them. That's some gorgeous scenery!

Very beautiful pictures. I especially like the habitat picture with the mossy log. Very Fairy Tale like! And that babbling brook is to die for!

Greets,
Terry

Excellent. I particularly like Ensatina photo # 2.

Great photos...especially the ensatinas! The scenery looks quite a bit like the area I go to 2x a year(Sonoma County)....except it seems like you guys got a clear sky instead of rain.

In fact, your trip had almost indentical finds to the ones I've made...same species of caudates and a scorpion of that sort. I have yet to find Taricha breeding though, and on one trip found a Dicampton.

(Joseph S) We were originally hoping to find a Dicampton on the trip, you'll have to let me know where you found yours, for our next expedition.

I love the last ensatina picture! What species is the long skinny "slender" sals?

I assume it's generally a California Slender Salamander . There it a large number of species within the Batrachoseps family (See www.californiaherps.com/salamanders/salamanders.html) and I can't tell the difference between most of them other than their range. Batrachoseps attenuatus would agree with where we found them.

Wonderful photos!

I'd like to mention that while it is fine to mention the general area, please do not include the specific park in the future (and if you could edit it Pete). While most of us are conscientious minded, this is a public forum that is perused by people who might have other intentions.

I disagree. I think the information is important since the climate can vary so much in this area and salamander patterns vary as well (One ensatina has yellow bands over the eyes), none of the species are particularly difficult to find, I do not give the location within the park, and stating the park name may encourage people to visit a park they may have overlooked. Nonetheless, you are welcome to remove the park name if you wish, but I am unable to edit the post.

Your message is true Pete, and your first post describing the county is perfectly fine.

The problem is that with the people you want to encourage/share the herping experience, there have been threads in the past where people have described an area completely torn apart by someone who got there first. While most of the members here are conscientious, this is a public forum and we want to discourage even the remote possibility of a disaster like that happening through our forums.

If someone interested and intelligent enough, they always have the option of sending you a private message concerning the spots. Then it would be up to you to filter the "zomg where u g3t that, i wants it 4 my turtle tank LOLOMFG" from the intelligent replies.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back