Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Needing help decided which morph of Axie to get.

TotallyNew2This

Reaction score
My wild type Axie just passed away and I'm eagerly searching for another one as I loved him to bits and he only died after 6 months of having him.

Hayleyy

Reaction score
Sorry to hear that. Make sure everything is all ready and set to go before bringing a new baby home, keep the tank cycling so it doesn't crash and test it regularly (which you probably know already!). Do you know why the last one passed?
As for colour morphs in Aus you can usually find wilds, melanoids, leucys, albinos (gold and white) and coppers. So, pretty much any morph except the glow in the dark ones. I've had all of those colours, at the moment I'm loving coppers and dirty leucys.
I would keep a look out for what is available to you, take your time deciding and maybe have a couple of colours you like and decide when you see a nice healthy one :)

TotallyNew2This

Reaction score
No clue. Mum was watching him and then he started floating on his back. She thought he’d broken his leg. He stopped breathing and I tried fridging and took him to the fish shop I purchased him from and he had burst red veins on his tummy and chest. They said they had no clue. I asked another Pet shop and they said they think he may have scraped his tummy on the clay brick in the tank and it caused a reaction. Looking to get a new tank so it’s larger and making sure the tank wasn’t the issue as I’ve had angelfish die previously to getting Bolt. Went to a river and collected some pebble/rocks, larger than the axolotls head and currently soaking them while I find a new, cheaper tank.:(

TotallyNew2This

Reaction score
Have set up my new tank. Planning on going to pick up Freckles my new Copper axolotl next week sometime. Purchased a baby black melanoid for my boyfriend today who has decided his naming him Batman. Still a baby so not needing a tank just yet.

Hayleyy

Reaction score
Should be fine, just check for any sharp bits. Attach a photo if you're still not sure and I'll check it out :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1