Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Bumps and black spots on tummy and cloaca

Nitokris

Reaction score
Hi there,
In July I bought a 7.5 year old axolotl. He came with bumps and black stone like spots all over his tummy and cloaca which the girl I bought him from said were nothing to worry about as he's been checked out.
I think they're slowly going away but just for curiosities sake I'd like to know what exactly they are. He eats and goes about business normally so I gather they're not a problem for him. I'll try to add photos.
Thanks.

Attachments

• 20181104_212713.jpg
    20181104_212713.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 801
  • 20181101_074324.jpg
    20181101_074324.jpg
    221.9 KB · Views: 494
  • 20181101_074230.jpg
    20181101_074230.jpg
    310.6 KB · Views: 622

Hayleyy

Reaction score
Wow I haven't seen that before. Would be interested in what other's say.

Nitokris

Reaction score
Yes I'm really interested as I cant find anything on line which resembles what he has.
Hopefully someone will know.

Hayleyy

Reaction score
You can also reach out to some vets and/or universities to see if they know anything.

E

Elise

Those are some fantastic images you took!

This looks like a parasites to me. I'd guess your axolotl has had this condition for many months judging by how far the infection has spread away from the cloaca. I've seen this before and it always progresses very slowly. As far as treatment, you're most likely going to need to seek the help of a vet to identify and treat this issue. I doubt it will go away on it's own and will continue to spread along the underside of your axolotl, if ever slowly.

E

Elise

It's easily treated and isn't life threatening. I have some older axolotls as well and I will usually opt for a vet for them when things come up. Older adults tend to be much less resilient than the juveniles. Your little guy looks very healthy from what's visible in the pictures. I'd want to keep him in good health also.

Nitokris

Reaction score
I took him to the unusual pet vet in the weekend. They took swabs and samples and checked them out and think it's bacteria but aren't exactly sure. They said to try bathing him in some antibiotics for 2 weeks and see how that goes, if not they'll send the samples off to pathology for further testing.
He's was extremely stressed the first couple of days but is starting to come back to normal. So we'll see how it goes.

Nitokris

Reaction score
Update for those who might be interested.

Pigby was on antibiotic baths (Metronidazole given by vet) for 2 weeks, then returned to the vet. The little black bits had been dropping off in the water and bumps going down/flaking off. The vet was most happy with this and said lets do 2 more weeks of baths just to be sure it's all gone! Yay! How annoying, but I'm glad he's getting better. There were a lot of bits hanging off tonight so I stroked his tummy and a few more fell off. There's a picture included of the yuckys (with skin? attached).
OI000001.jpg

Hayleyy

Reaction score
Wow! Great photo, thank you for that! Glad he is getting better :)

Rinniex

Reaction score
I know it’s been a long time but how did your little guy recover? And could you explain what you mean by antibiotic baths? Unfortunately my axolotl has the same thing and the vet prescribed topical baytril but it does not seem to be working..

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1