paddletail newt turning light?

koala

Asian Newt Group
Reaction score
Country
United States
I got my paddletail newt a few weeks ago. In the last few days I've noticed that his tail is lightening up and there are a few little gray spots on it. There are also a few small spots on his side. Is this something that's normal?

Do the spots look anything like the spots on the end of this paddle-tail's tail? it may just mean that you have a male and he is getting into his breeding dress.

Alternatively it may mean that he has a fungal, parasitic or bacterial infection. Any chance that you can post a photo of these spots?

It's hard to tell if this newt's spots look like his because my newt is a different color. He is black, but his spots are sort of a grayish color. I'll try to post pics as soon as possible.

Ok, it turns out I can't get any pictures of it because my camera does not have a good zoom lens and it always comes out blurry. I asked a question on Yahoo answers and some one said it could be camouflage if my tank is a lighter color than the pet store one. Do you think that's true?

No, newts do not change color in response to the color of their environment. They do sometimes become a lighter color in response to stress. Some will just randomly fluctuate between a lighter/darker color. It may mean nothing at all.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back