Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

good tank setup for my newt?

ilovenewts

Reaction score
hi
i have recently bought 2 fire bellied newts (chinese), and they dont seem very active so i was wondering if i was giving them too little water or too little land:confused:, i dont think its a side affect of shock because ive had them for a while but not too long.
anyone got any suggestions on a good tank setup for a young chinese fire bellie?
thanks
micheal
:smile:

aghiowa

Reaction score
I have also recently gotten a C-FBN and like yours, mine seems completely inactive. He spends the day curled up under a rock. It is my understanding that this could very well be normal behavior, especially since they're stressed and in a new place.

I know mine does get out at night, since the worm pieces I put out disappear. I would post a picture of your tank if you can, so the knowledgeable people here can tell you if it's a good setup. But even if you had newt paradise, I bet they'd still sit around doing nothing. :)

Good luck!

Angela

ilovenewts

Reaction score
hi again
ive managed to get some pics up so here they are

Attachments

• SS851072.jpg
    SS851072.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 285
  • SS851075.jpg
    SS851075.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 241
  • SS851078.jpg
    SS851078.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 268

oregon newt

Reaction score
What are your water parameters? Just try to disturb them as little as possible and give them time to adjust. Do they seem to prefer the land over water? What is the temperature?

ilovenewts

Reaction score
thanks for all your info,
ill not disturb them and just let them adjust to the big move
ill keep you all updated on their activity
thanks again
micheal
ps. the picture is of one of the newts :smile:

Attachments

• SS851067.jpg
    SS851067.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 253
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1