Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Help with my chiller please

Atherose

Reaction score
Hi, I recently bought a Hailea 150A and it didn't come with a instruction manual.
I was wondering if anyone could tell me what kind of filter I need to connect it through or if there is somewhere I can download a manual online?

Thank you x

blackdog

Reaction score
You need a power head not a filter
So an underwater pump

I run my 130A Hailea off my canister filter.

The 150 might need a higher amount of water through it perhaps, i'm not sure. But if your canister filter is big enough (and if you need a 150 chiller then i assume you need a decent sized filter) there is no reason you can't run it in line with your filter.

Having said that, pumps are not that expensive.

Bren

yellowpebble

Reaction score
Yes, check the pipes on your chiller and and inspect your filter. If there is no logical place you can run it through your filter, you will probably need a powerhead pump (cheap from ebay), or even a pet store for around $30. I'm 90% sure you need a canister filter for the filter method... if you have a submersable filter probably not.

heres a good ausie seller for pumps i got mine from, very reliable and cheap.

2010croally71 | eBay

Remember this ratio to figure out the right litres/hour pump you will need for the size of your tank (it should turn the water over 3-4 times an hour):

Multiply the length x width x height measuring in centimetres and divide by 1000 to get the capacity in litres:
  • example: 60cm x 40cm x 40cm = 96000. 96000 / 1000 = 96 litres
Now multiply this by 3 and then by 4 to get an approximate flow rate range for your filter.
  • example: 96 x 3 = 288, 96 x 4 = 384
In this example a suitable filter would have a flow rate of 300-400 litres per hour.

attatched is the pump in action, the black thing at the bottom of the right tube is the powerhead, wich pumps the water through the chiller, and the left tube is the water returning to the aquarium. So you create a cicut running cool water through your tank, it goes pump >tube > chiller > tube > aquarium.

remember to soften the flow out of the chiller with something though, axies dont like current. Use a spray bar or put some ornaments in front of it.

Attachments

• nz3wjl.jpg
    nz3wjl.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 713

Blaze

Reaction score
Note: If you only have a power head and the water is not filtered through media before going through your chiller it will clog up and break. Warranty does not cover the Chiller breaking if you did not use a filter.

yellowpebble

Reaction score
wow i did not know that!!!! thankyou i will remember when i get my chiller.

The powerhead pump i bought from the link above actually did come with a small canister at the bottom with some sponge, thats what it is for obviously. Its too small to be a filter. Maybe the pump would clog up too with too much waste?

lea

Reaction score
I have my chiller attached to the filter. The water goes from he tank through the filter into the chiller and then back into the tank and works well.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1