Question: Boy parts

yellowpebble

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Display Name
Rachel
My leucistic males parts have gone. They have disappeared over night. He has been mature for a while and is quite large, and i know he is a male because he has bred with a female of mine before. He used to have quite a prominent package and dropped spermatiphores often. Now there is no bulge at all, from looking from the side or on top. Not even a little bump the girls have, his cloaca seems to have disappeared completely. There is even a slight groove upwards where it used to be. He now has an 'innie' :confused:

Tank parameters and temp are fine and there is no blood or trauma to the sight, or anywhere else, he looks fine otherwise and is acting normal. He is housed with another male, who still has his bits.

... has anyone experienced this? is anyone elses axolotl gender confused?

wow, that is certainly different. Perhaps it will return? I've never heard of them being able to change genders, though some amphibians can.

Perhaps the other male snapped at him, and he drew it in in self defense? I'm speculating, but I've never heard of it before.

I'm pretty sure they reduce in size outside of the usual breeding season. In autumn they will return again.

Regards Neil

Happened to my boy, Banana. When I introduced Tenedor (female) back into the tank after being seperated for fungus, his cloaca was soon swollen again, and saw spermaphores in the tank (although no eggs followed).

cool thanks guys! he has been sepperated from the females for a while, maybe he just gave up :D

Hey, to be fair, that water is pretty cold!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back