Hello from Norfolk, UK

shannifran

Reaction score
Country
England
Hi there,
My names Shannon and I've been in love with Axolotls since I first saw this attached picture. I'm now in a position to be able to have some.
I have been reading up on them and want to make sure I do everything properly and so I know what to expect when I get them!
My local garden centre has just had a shipment of these and they are about 3 inches long each (so rather small from what I've read?!)
Anyhow I have an old fishtank which was used for tropical fish for a while, I know I can remove the heater and use this as a coldwater tank without a problem.
I have some pink pebbles but from what I've read its best not to have pebbles but to have sand instead? I have some fake plants and rocks for them to hide between but will most likely get some floating or potted live plants too.
I was thinking of getting a pair as I don't like to think of one being on its own, I have read however that when they're small juveniles they can eat each others limbs, this has concerned me quite a bit especially as the ones in my local store are only about 3 inches long at the moment. Does anyone know if this will be a problem?
Anyhow I've set up my tank with water and understand I have to leave it settle for about 2 weeks before adding any axelotls.
Any tips, hints, advice or anything that I may not have yet read about would be greatly appreciated. I'd rather be told something twice that I already know than not know.
Thanks in advance and I can't wait to get some Acelotls to love!

xxx

Attachments

• axolotl-1.jpg
    axolotl-1.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 277
Hello, welcome.

Actually 3 inches is a pretty good size for juveniles to go to the marketplace. Correct, don't use pebbles or gravel. Fine sand, flat rocks, or bare tank bottom is best.

If you have two in a good-sized tank and you keep them well fed they are unlikely to injure each other. It's possible, but unlikely. And if they do, it usually heals on its own.

Remember to plan ahead for the size of tank you'll need for two adults. And if you can't have a large tank, consider getting just one. They don't get lonely.

You should feel free to post questions in the Axolotl area of the forum. People don't read the Intro section much.

Hi to the forum, any help or advice on axolotls, this is the place. Lots of friendly people with great advice and many enthusiasts and experts, i'm sure you will enjoy the wealth of information on here too. If you do have any stones/pebbles you want in your tank, make sure they are larger than the axolotls mouths, best to have large pebbles, then you will never have to worry that your axolotl has swallowed one or has one stuck inside it. Any questions just feel free to ask.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back