Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Sick or morphing? HELP

Klaverick

Reaction score
It has recently come to my attention that my poor Axol-rose may either be sick or starting to morph?
He is around three and a half years old and I've had him for just over a year. The only real difference I have seen in him is that he has grown a bit and his gills have become a bit shorter. Due to me being a first time owner I thought that this was normal, however it has been pointed out to me that this may not be the case.
What do you think? Please any help will be greatly appreciated as I'm so worried about him!

Thankyou,
Kate

Attachments

• IMG_20160106_153430133.jpg
    IMG_20160106_153430133.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 245

LSuzuki

Reaction score
Chances are, he isn't starting to morph.

This probably isn't the cause, but have you checked all of your tank parameters (ammonia, nitrate, nitrite, pH, temperature)? If those are off, it can cause problems.

I have several adult axies. One of them developed gills like yours. I moved him to a different tank and put in a divider because I thought maybe he was stressed by the other males in the tank. The gills didn't improve. Then, unfortunately, I got a nasty bacterial infection in that tank and had them isolated in individual, unaerated tanks for several weeks while treating them. (Twice a day, 100% water changes - no fun). During the time in the unaerated water, his gills grew and got fuller. Now what he is back in well-oxygenated water, his gills are shrinking again.

Bottom line: Some axies have short gills naturally, and they get shorter in well-oxygenated water.

So, keep a close eye and see if you can get some close-up pictures from different angles that might show something. Keep an eye on your tank parameters (if you aren't already). As long at there are no other symptoms, he is probably fine.

Klaverick

Reaction score
Some axies have short gills naturally, and they get shorter in well-oxygenated water.

So, keep a close eye and see if you can get some close-up pictures from different angles that might show something. Keep an eye on your tank parameters (if you aren't already). As long at there are no other symptoms, he is probably fine.

That's exactly what I thought! He is eating fine and is quite active and playful. I will however do more water changes than usual to see if this makes any kind of difference. I'll take some more photo's this weekend of him and upload them just in case there IS something wrong with him.

Thankyou so much for your help and reassurance.

Kate

AxolotlChris

Reaction score
Are you aware of the Nitrogen Cycle?

Do you have a test kit to check your water for Ammonia, Nitrites, and Nitrates?

What is your waters temperature?

The Nitrogen cycle and your waters temperature are key to your Axolotl living in a healthy environment. If you don't check these then your Axolotl is at risk of being unhealthy, in pain, and potentially dying.

Klaverick

Reaction score
Are you aware of the Nitrogen Cycle?

Do you have a test kit to check your water for Ammonia, Nitrites, and Nitrates?

What is your waters temperature?

The Nitrogen cycle and your waters temperature are key to your Axolotl living in a healthy environment. If you don't check these then your Axolotl is at risk of being unhealthy, in pain, and potentially dying.

I am aware of it, but haven't checked it recently which im going to do this weekend. I will let you know the results!
I have a feeling the temperature may be a factor as I have just recently moved into a maisonette which is a lot warmer than my previous house with heat rising from the house below me. Just read the temperature and it says its 20 degrees. Is this too hot for him? If so what can I do to cool him down?

AxolotlChris

Reaction score
Water temperature should be between 16-18 degrees Celsius. A chiller is the most consistent way for cooling the water. Otherwise there are temporary methods which are not as efficient.
Caudata Culture Articles - Cooling

Temperatures higher than 23 degrees cause disease and death. 20 is still on the high side.

You should check your water parameters weekly.

Your water can't be well oxygenated if your water is at 20 degrees, I expect it is the temperature and water quality which is causing your Axolotl issues

E

Elise

Some axolotls have short gills naturally and they will still have a healthy appearance. When there is poor water quality, the gills are usually affected quickest due their sensitively to the toxicants. The damage to gills can be reversed but will take several months and will typically have some slight irregularities in growth and appearance. Consistently keeping good water quality is a must with low water moment being strongly suggested.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!