Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Do Axolotls see color?

LSuzuki

Reaction score
Nothing wrong with reviving old threads. The question is still interesting. :)

I suspect they see color. One of my stupider ones has a hard time finding food. I've been feeding them Hikari carnivore pellets that are red. He tends to get confused and snaps at the red sticker on the underside of the bare-bottom tank instead of the near-by pellets. But perhaps he is just seeing the contrast between the sicker and the black board under the tank.

If I recall correctly, and if what I read was correct, "wild type", "melanoid", and "leucistic" were original colors in the wild population and "albino" was breed in by crossing with an albino ambystoma tigrinum.

Sanshouo

Reaction score
Re: Do Axolotl's see color?

I hate to bring up religion in a hobby forum, I really do, but in case anyone missed it, the previously posted website is an advocate of intelligent design rather than evolution. That doesn't automatically mean the plain facts of the anatomy are mis-described, but I would advise doublechecking
Thanks for pointing that out. I thought that the artistic comment seemed weird

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!