Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Good plants for hiding in?

Purpletotodile

Reaction score
My axolotls love hanging out in my fake plants. I wanted to start real plants. What are some good tall plants for them to hide in. The tank gets moderate sunlight, and my substrate is aquarium sand. What would be some good hiding plants I could use for my tank?

Luca1980

Reaction score
Vallisneria is probably your best option, especially if its something tall you're after. My 5 axies spend all day hanging out in them and I have 4 bunches planted along the back wall of my tank. I also have anubias and java fern in the foreground. All of these plants do well in cold, dark tanks.

Zsolti

Reaction score
Microsorium pteropus is my personal favorite. Pretty good looking plant and good for cold water, if you want to keep it well then a lil bit light is good but not a must. My guys love it.
Anubias is another good choice.

Wysper

Reaction score
I have some Anubias Nana attached to a piece of driftwood in my tank, and they love sitting in the leaves. It's adorable when they rest their head on a leaf and seem to just be dozing.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!