Hello from Colorado! Need help with cycling

Michelle303

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello everyone, I am new here. My name is Michelle and I am trying to cycle a 20 gal tank for an axolotl. I just posted this in axolotl group page and still need help with it. Please?

"Hi everyone, I am new to cycling. My boyfriend just cycled his 55 gal so he knows a little. But anyways I have been researching about axolotls and decided I really wanted one so I went out and bought a 20 gal tank. Water and tetra safe start has been in since 2/25/17. I have been putting in fish food about every other day for ammonia and recently put two feeder fish in. I have been testing everyday and my water has about 1.0 ammonia, 0 nitrite and 20-40 nitrate. So I did some reading and people say to test the tap water so I did and everything comes out 0. My question is how did I jump to nitrates with no nitrites and hardly any ammonia? Should I do a water change? My temp is at 60 degrees. Should I make it warmer?"

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back