Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Some Questions About Axolotl Care

PixelStix

Reaction score
I plan on getting an Axolotl very soon, and there are a few things I want to know before I get it. I've done lots of research, and I can most definitely care for it, but there are some things that I need to know that I haven't been able to find on many reliable websites.

I bought a 10gal tank and a hang-on-the-back filter. I plan on getting aquarium sand and two or three sinking logs as hides, as well as one or two floating plants (fake) to provide some shade. How often would I have to do water changes for my tank?

Another thing I want to know is if I can feed my Axolotl crickets. I've checked countless sites, and half of them say not to, but the other half say it would be fine. The super reliable websites don't say anything about feeding them crickets, and it's mainly just those cheap Wix websites that talk about it, and I don't know if I should trust them or not. Are there any small live fish I could put in the tank with the Axolotl for it to eat?

Another thing I want to know but not really worried about is the water flow of the tank. I made sure I bought a filter that would cause little amounts of water flow so it wouldn't stress out the Axolotl, but it would be nice to know different ways I could disperse the flow just in case.

If you can answer any of these questions, please reply. It'd be a great help if you could. :)

Bloodchilling

Reaction score
I have heard of people putting long fake aquarium plants in front of the filters to help keep the flow down. Not really sure about the crickets but I personally would not use them because most recommend earthworms and salmon pellets, my guess is if crickets were a good food source for them it would be common practice considering how readily available they are.
Hope I helped at least a little :)

Tarabull

Reaction score
I wouldn't use the crickets either. I think I saw a thread that said that it is because of their back legs and they would need to be pulled off. Also they bite. Don't quote me on these though.

I sometimes feed mine guppies as a treat. They don't have the nutrition of earthworms but they enjoy stalking them. Minnows and gold fish are bad for axolotls so don't feed them those.

For the hanging filter I have seen people attach cups that have holes so the water comes out like a spray bar to disperse the water.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!