Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axolotl Feeding and Brown Algae?

Cheshiresbreak

Reaction score
Hello Everyone!

I rescued my first axolotl, Sylvester, a couple of months ago and recently I have started to get a little worried that his feeding schedule might not be the best. We feed him a medium sized pinch of blackworms once a day, they're the aquatic relative of earthworms and give him all the same nutrients he needs and he love them! Its easier for us because we already order them for the newts and Sylvester wont eat any of the other things we've tried.

I've included pictures of what he looked like when we first got him and what hes grown into. Hes grown quite a bit in size and personality these last two months. He's showing healthy behavior and is very curious. I'm mainly just concerned that were feeding him to little because hes not as thick i would expect him to be. Any advice on his feeding schedule would be appreciated!

Secondly I have also noticed a sudden burst of brown algae growth on his tank these last couple of weeks, I do regular cleaning once a week as well as water changes but it keep growing back.

Most recently I completely emptied the tank,scrubbed everything down with hot water, and did a full water change but i took some pictures today and the algae is already back! I don't know where this algae would be coming from so I really need help figuring out how to eliminate it!

Attachments

• IMG_0276.jpg
    IMG_0276.jpg
    715.9 KB · Views: 8,358
  • IMG_0601.jpg
    IMG_0601.jpg
    937.8 KB · Views: 690
  • IMG_0731.jpg
    IMG_0731.jpg
    323.4 KB · Views: 565
  • IMG_0728.jpg
    IMG_0728.jpg
    456 KB · Views: 634
  • IMG_0729.jpg
    IMG_0729.jpg
    435.9 KB · Views: 769
  • IMG_0732.jpg
    IMG_0732.jpg
    449.6 KB · Views: 507

Hayleyy

Reaction score
If you're worried he isn't eating enough just up the food you give him. When he is full he will stop eating
I don't think brown algae is dangerous at all, just ugly haha. I'm not sure how to get rid of it as any algae eating fish or snails will be gulped up by your axie. Is there any natural light hitting your tank that might be enabling it's growth? I have had it in my freshwater tank as it is next to our back door.
When cleaning the tank it's not a good idea to scrub everything as your decorations hold the beneficial bacteria needed for a healthy tank

Cheshiresbreak

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice! The tank is in the kitchen where we don't have any windows but it does have the led light on it that we keep on for 10 hours a day, its on a preset timer so it turns on and off on its own. Other than that i don't know of anything that would be supporting its growth.

Hayleyy

Reaction score
Don't worry too much about keeping the light on so long, axies are happy in the dark.
That might help keep the algae down.
You can also get an aquarium scraper to get the algae off the glass :)
Also your axie is very pretty!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!