Hello! Temperature advice?

Tasha92

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello all! I'm in the research phase of pre-axolotl ownership. For the past 4 weeks I've monitored my 55 gallon's water tempature. It stays roughly between 66-68°F. Would fans on top cool it down to a safe level since it's such a large tank? I have been looking into diy chillers also. Anyone with experience using a diy chiller? Fans on a tank that big? Any other suggestions to cool the tank besides the ice bottle trick?

(Tank is cycled, 2/3rds of the way full, no lid, a few live low light plants, sponge filter/air pump for a 60gal, and sand bottom ~I plan on getting 5"+ axies or rescuing.. I've been looking on Facebook and it seems they are easy to find as adults also)

Re: Hello! Tempature advice?

Hey! A fan should work well, and you have time to see if it works enough. It isn't as good as a chiller but will do until you can sort out your DIY one. Someone else can help with that :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back