The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Photo Gallery, Video Gallery, Technique and Discussion Post and discuss photography and videography of amphibians. Photos can be hosted on Caudata.org for convenience.

Old 3rd June 2018   #21
RG

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 7
Comments: 1
Rep: RG has shown reliable knowledge
Default A. andersoni with a black belly.

It goes well with the andersoni in first stay. A week ago they switched to different food. The Daphnia probably caused health problems. It was also time, now there is no Daphnia in the ditch. Thousands of small fish, together with the warmer weather, put an end to the food.
It is amazing how quickly they are accustomed to other foods.
The young andersoni eat more per day than the 7 adult animals in one week. The andersoni that have been moved to the garage have been lost. A small number of these are still alive. Next week there has to be divided again.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A. andersoni 100 mm_1.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	651.2 KB
ID:	53397   Click image for larger version

Name:	A. andersoni 100 mm_2.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	244.5 KB
ID:	53398  

RG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2018   #22
RG

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 7
Comments: 1
Rep: RG has shown reliable knowledge
Default Update 1

A small summary of what has occurred.
16 of the approximately 130 animals in the garage are still alive. A bacterial infection has caused a slaughter on the animals. At first it appeared that it was a fungus. Treatment with salt, however, did not provide any improvement. I also added extra salt to the water tanks to reduce the problem. This had the disadvantage that filtering became worse and the contamination became larger. The contamination stopped when I added Furan to the water. This may have worked, but I am not sure of it. The water tanks in the house also had problems with this bacteria, but much less. Here it has stopped by itself. This contamination halved the number of animals. It is possible that these bacteria eat the meat, after which fungi occur. The animal on the photo has eaten well 8 hours before this picture is taken. (Disease description: starting as white dots on the finger points, then it quickly falls over to the legs and then it comes onto the body).
The chance of infection from animal to animal is probably not high. Because in the beginning I thought it was a fungal infection, I fed all salamanders with affected feet to my Axolotls. The Axolotls did not experience any adverse effects. I consciously did not feed the animal in the picture to the Axolotls, so I could wait for the result and take a picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_2420.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	234.1 KB
ID:	54049  

RG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2018   #23
Skeeter
(supergrappler)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 8
Rep: supergrappler has given good advice and informationsupergrappler has given good advice and information
Default Re: A. andersoni with a black belly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG View Post
It goes well with the andersoni in first stay. A week ago they switched to different food. The Daphnia probably caused health problems. It was also time, now there is no Daphnia in the ditch. Thousands of small fish, together with the warmer weather, put an end to the food.
It is amazing how quickly they are accustomed to other foods.
The young andersoni eat more per day than the 7 adult animals in one week. The andersoni that have been moved to the garage have been lost. A small number of these are still alive. Next week there has to be divided again.
What beautiful animals!
Sorry you lost some due to fungus.
Hopefully you will have more survivors than casualties.
Thank you for sharing your journey.

supergrappler is offline   Reply With Quote